C6 issues

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So now i seem to be having transmission issues i believe. I was wondering where the trans cooler is on these trucks, is it integrated into the rad or is it a separate piece in front of the radiator. I am having what i think is slipping issues which might be the result of the tranny over heating. Im not really sure how i can go about proving my theory. I dont have any extra temp gauges on the truck so i really dont know what it is doing.

I think im going to drain the fluid and change the filter on it and see what that does for it. If the fluid is burnt what color would it be?

Thanks

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock it's integrated into the rad...I put a separate B&M trans cooler on mine years ago. I never really towed anything of weight except a Harley trailer and my BBC Jet Boat.
Is the trany fluid burnt if so it will be brownish/dark red/dirty and smell burnt? Good fluid should be pinkish red.
If it's slipping I would flush out the fluid with the trick Travis does...I do it every 3 years where I pull the trany oil return line from the rad and into a empty bucket the old fluid goes...as soon as I see it sputter I shut off the engine and dump in clean fluid. I always use "LUBE GUARD" in mine also!
However if you NEVER serviced it drop the pan, change out the filter and also drain the TC...there's a bolt on it to drain it. Get a hi quality filter and gasket...TIP...while the pan is off you can put a drain plug in it (nice).
After that I would check the band for adjustment...very easy to do >"Intermediate band is the only one that can be adjusted. Tighten the stud to 120 "inch" pounds, then back off 1-1/2 turns then tighten the jam nut."

Also check the vacuum module on the trans and check/adjust the VRV on the side of the IP.

Last edited:

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow that was exacly what i was looking for. So much good information, thanks.
What kind of filter do you run in your tranny? Would the one at AutoZone be alright or should i get the TCI filter kit or something better? Which brand transmission fluid do people use?

Now when you empty the tranny fluid do you keep it running till it sputters, then turn it off.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Wow that was exacly what i was looking for. So much good information, thanks.
What kind of filter do you run in your tranny? Would the one at AutoZone be alright or should i get the TCI filter kit or something better? Which brand transmission fluid do people use?

Now when you empty the tranny fluid do you keep it running till it sputters, then turn it off.

It's not really the greatest thing for the tranny to let it run till it sputters. Best way to flush them out is to take a 5 gal bucket and mark off 1 gal increments on it. Run a hose from the tranny cooler return line to the bucket , crank the thing till it fills to the 1 gal line then shut off. top off the tranny, crank again till it hits the 2 gal line, shut off, etc, till you get a steady supply of clean fresh fluid coming out the drain line. You'll waste a bit more fluid this way, but you also won't fry your tranny.
As far as filters, I wouldn't use autozone anything

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as filters, I wouldn't use autozone anything

Hahaha, well thats fine, i just buy all my oil and filters there because they have the best price in town and offer a military discount. So i guess i will get the TCI tranny filter then, it cost fair amount more, but it must be for a reason. So how much tranny fluid should i get then, not sure how much the whole thing holds, but if im putting 2 gallons into the bucket then i need like what 3 gallons of the stuff or something?

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not really the greatest thing for the tranny to let it run till it sputters...
True however let me clarify...don't sit there running the engine until the line goes dry or blow bubbles. As soon as you see it spit...shut it off...add fluid. Everything in the trany is still coated with fluid, not like your going up the road, under load without oil.
Been doing it this way for years now...same original C6 w/182,000 on it.
Travis AKA "the man" got me doing it this way years ago. ;Sweet
EDIT >when I do it this way I'm watching the hose and someone is in the truck with their hand on key for shut off.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the bubbles, i figured that much. Would this be a good time to install a shift kit? I guess maybe i should make sure this fixes my problem huh?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its hard to argue with Travis on that one, seeing as he has such a rough driving style and still kept that E4ODOA alive even behind the turbo engine even with all his other bad luck. If the fluid is dark, dirty or smells burnt it needs a change. If its really slipping bad it might need an adjustment. Be careful if you pull the pan and modulator to be sure that the pin goes back into the line. Failure to do so will cause the tranny to receive constant vaccum and eventually leak like a seive and DIE. I burnt up a C6 like that.... now also get the correct modulator, its different than for the gas motors. the alst adjustment is the VRV(thing on injector pump) tools are best but by the seat of the pants works. You want to feel two firm shifts, just like as if you were shifting manually. The C6 is very tough and tolerant, but its also not very efficient, its cheap to work with as autos go and they still make parts for them....except that VRV is becoming harder and harder to find.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Hahaha, well thats fine, i just buy all my oil and filters there because they have the best price in town and offer a military discount. So i guess i will get the TCI tranny filter then, it cost fair amount more, but it must be for a reason. So how much tranny fluid should i get then, not sure how much the whole thing holds, but if im putting 2 gallons into the bucket then i need like what 3 gallons of the stuff or something?

The system holds a total of 3 gallons, probably ought to get closer to 4 to get it thoroughly flushed out.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So when i pull the pan and empty the TC and drain the tranny cooler, with that be all of the fluid in the system or is there still more somewhere?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
So when i pull the pan and empty the TC and drain the tranny cooler, with that be all of the fluid in the system or is there still more somewhere?

There would still be some hiding up in the tranny itself unless you pull the valve body off ( not reccomended )but not too much

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Would it make sense to flush the transmission then replace the filter, or vice versa?

Change the filter, drain the converter, replace the pan, tighten everything back up. fill the pan then flush the cooler lines.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again (if) dropping trany pan install on of those fancy drain plugs...kicking myself I didn't do this six years ago. But I will next time;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online