Bypass the glow plug contoller

Trex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if i have the key on and i run a jumper wire from the white wire to the negative battery post i should here a click at the solenoid right? If no click does that mean the solenoid is bad or the whole controller need replaced?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if i have the key on and i run a jumper wire from the white wire to the negative battery post i should here a click at the solenoid right? If no click does that mean the solenoid is bad or the whole controller need replaced?
You are correct. Double check you have 12v on that red wire though. I think you already checked that in a earlier post?

If it does click, that means at least half of it is working. That means the coil in the solenoid is good, and is pulling the large contacts inside together. But if the contacts inside are all burnt up, then you still could get no power to the glowplugs.

I think it was this post where I said this works just like a starter relay. Small power on the red and ground on the white wire makes the relay click shut, and that connects the big power from the yellow wires to the glowplugs.

Trex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK fellows, finally got the relay and changed it out,shazam it worked! You fellows really know your chit! Thanks for all the help and most of all keep on IDI trucking! Hope you and your family's have a Happy New Year!!!!

Tod Rockstead

Reaction score
If you've added a toggle switch to your glow plug circuit, do yourself a favor and add a push button on the same run after the switch. A switch is not enough protection/control on the circuit. You may forget to turn off the switch. with the button added to the circuit the only glow plug activity is when you push the button with the switch on. and as a rule never press the glowplug button for mor than 6 seconds. its better to hold 4 or 5 sec , let off for 3 and repeat

Weldingman

Reaction score
If you've added a toggle switch to your glow plug circuit, do yourself a favor and add a push button on the same run after the switch. A switch is not enough protection/control on the circuit. You may forget to turn off the switch. with the button added to the circuit the only glow plug activity is when you push the button with the switch on. and as a rule never press the glowplug button for mor than 6 seconds. its better to hold 4 or 5 sec , let off for 3 and repeat
That’s interesting I’ve been doing 8 seconds and it’s been working out well.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Good advice on having a Toggle switch before the push button. This way you have a safety in the circuit.

My Bro in Law just wired in a manual Push Button on his 83 250 4X4 a couple weeks ago. Couple days ago he went out and smoke was coming from under the hood. The Push Button shorted out and burned the wires. In this case a on/off Toggle before the Push Button would have been a safety in the system. He said he didn`t have a Fuse in the system and it may have blown and stopped it.
Also he wired his to a always energized hot wire.

I wired in my Manual set up with a momentary Toggle switch, and an inline spade fuse, plus a wire that was only energized with key on.

In the summer months I run the GP`s maybe 6 sec and in the winter like today when it was 9 deg last night, 10 sec.
I had the Block heater on so it will fire right up w/o the use of Plugs.

Goat

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember you can't run a dinky momentary switch. I would use the larger metal type with just a plain metal post sticking out. That glowplug solenoid draws some current and there will be a kick-back spark each time you let out on the button.

Something like this should last.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
The thing that got me about that video is where he says that it's not a good location for the push button and then it's still there "a few days later". Why not move the button?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online