buy a 6.9 diesel or not?? need to know

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I blew up a 300 Inline six......how many times have you heard that?

I am COMPLETELY unable to hurt my 7.3 IDI....and sometimes I am a little rough on her!

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I blew up a 300 Inline six......
:eek::eek::eek: That's rare, friend of mine tried everything to kill his, even had it running on diesel for awhile (smoked and didn't run for crap though but it still ran). Ultimately ended up with a hole melted through 1 of the pistons and no compression (from not having an air filter) to kill it. However it still hadn't technically blew up.;Sweet

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Wow... that's the first time I hear someone say these engines are garbage....

It's pretty obvious hes never had or worked on one!

Look at the ones in my sig. all original both engines and transmissions!

Only reason the F250 is retired is cause the body has rotten off the frame... Still runs and drives great!

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
-IDI engines will run with diesel, biodiesel, waste vegetable oil, a mix of other different kinds of waste oil, etc. You cannot try that with the others much less a PSD.

You can run alternate fuels in a PSD actually...just not anything newer than late 2003 due to the tighter specifications of the injection system (6.0L). There are MANY older diesels that can run alternate fuels which I am sure you are aware of.

-IDI engines are simple, easy to fix, even for people like me without much mechanic knowledge and tools. IDIs don't have all the electronics, sensors and modules the other have which makes them a nightmare to fix at home and force you to depend from the dealer.

I think we can all agree there. But at the same time, I must disagree as even an IDI can seem complex if you don't know what you are doing.

Things are not going to be as they are right now. They'll get worse, much worse real soon.

It is possible, but even then humanity will endure. All through history we have been hearing that same expression of impending world end. Through several wars, including two world wars...through the dust bowl and the great depression just to name a few. Remember the ruse of Y2K? Pure misinformation creating mass hysteria.

If you buy a vehicle with a decent IDI engine you are investing for that time when we are going to be probably the only ones driving trucks. All others will have their circuits disabled by EMPs, or don't have fuel.

This is the main reason I broke down this post as I have heard it many times before from others on this forum. Who started spreading such a rumor anyway?
Despite common belief, there ARE many mechanisms and circuitry (although not as important) to our engines to actually run. A pulse of electromagnetism would potentially disable ALL circuitry. Headlights, solenoids, batteries, charging systems, sensors (Tach, pyro, NSS) of any kind would potentially be affected. BUT, this all depends on many factors as listed in the following article IF it ever were to occur:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse

I apologize if my confronting of the above statements seem rather rude or attacking in any way. I merely meant to provide a different perspective on the topics above.

I hope you pay attention to all the good advice you have received here, the forum where people care about each other and their trucks.

100% Agree. ;Sweet As with all things, knowledge is KEY!

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
Dave,

If I'm right, many that got prepared are going to survive. If I'm wrong even those that did nothing will be OK.

If you are right, it didn't hurt me to be ready for whatever, but if you are wrong and many followed you in ignoring the clear signs we can see, a lot of people will be in trouble.

Don't worry about offending me, I know how to respect other people's opinions. Even if we disagree I will fight for the right you have to express your thoughts.

I don't follow rumors, what I say is the fruit of many hours of study and observations. I say what I say because I care for people. I've learned to love and admire many in this forum. Every person offers the best he or she has, in my case, I don't have much to offer but what I've learned I share with the hope to be a blessing to somebody.

If you were my neighbor, and you laughed at me these days when I'm working long hours and getting ready for what you think is a rumor, I will smile back at you, thinking of the day you will be sitting at my table enjoying good food in the middle of a terrible famine and chaos in this land. My strength comes from the Lord my God, what give me some consolation today is to see that I can be a blessing for some when things get real bad. In the mean time every body is entitled to his own opinion, time will tell who was right.

If you care to know the reasons I think there is a terrible storm approaching fast upon us you can PM me.

Thanks,

Burt.

crazy4wdracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P.iecea
S.hit
D.iesel

I disagree (6.0's I agree though!). I have a '97 PSD it has 276K on it and the engine has never been touched other than glowplugs. I couldn't ask for a more reliable truck than it. They are pretty expensive to fix though espically compared to IDI's. Mine sure wasn't hard to work on but the reason I'm getting rid of it is because I wanted a 4WD. My IDI gets better fuel mileage than the PSD did too!

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave,

If I'm right, many that got prepared are going to survive. If I'm wrong even those that did nothing will be OK.

If you are right, it didn't hurt me to be ready for whatever, but if you are wrong and many followed you in ignoring the clear signs we can see, a lot of people will be in trouble.

Don't worry about offending me, I know how to respect other people's opinions. Even if we disagree I will fight for the right you have to express your thoughts.

I don't follow rumors, what I say is the fruit of many hours of study and observations. I say what I say because I care for people. I've learned to love and admire many in this forum. Every person offers the best he or she has, in my case, I don't have much to offer but what I've learned I share with the hope to be a blessing to somebody.

If you were my neighbor, and you laughed at me these days when I'm working long hours and getting ready for what you think is a rumor, I will smile back at you, thinking of the day you will be sitting at my table enjoying good food in the middle of a terrible famine and chaos in this land. My strength comes from the Lord my God, what give me some consolation today is to see that I can be a blessing for some when things get real bad. In the mean time every body is entitled to his own opinion, time will tell who was right.

If you care to know the reasons I think there is a terrible storm approaching fast upon us you can PM me.

Thanks,

Burt.

Scarry thing is, my dad is doing the same exact thing you are and fearing the same chaos. It really does scare the hell out of me and I'd rather at the moment, just live and enjoy life and not worry.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Dave,

Thanks,

Burt.

Burt,
That is mighty generous of you. Luckily I also live on a ranch and have other means to maintain a living if anything would happen. Just staying optimistic is all. :D

Unrelated, but if I ever met you in person...this is what I imagine you would look like.
You must be registered for see images attach

You would be my hero.

-Dave

Last edited:

1994IDI

Reaction score
And if I remember correctly, the mans name in the picture is Burt. Am I right.

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
Burt,
That is mighty generous of you. Luckily I also live on a ranch and have other means to maintain a living if anything would happen. Just staying optimistic is all. :D

Unrelated, but if I ever met you in person...this is what I imagine you would look like.
You must be registered for see images attach

You would be my hero.

-Dave
No Dave, the man in the picture is not me. I'm older, I use a hoe, a rake and a tractor most of the time when I'm on the field. Many other tools while I'm working in the greenhouse or fixing the irrigation systems. My strength comes from the Lord my God, YAHWEH. I do not trust in guns to fix our problems. I own a Marlin 1894 and a Smith & Wesson 586 (both use the same .357 round) just as a matter of principle (2nd amendment). They are use most of the time with shot shells to kill snakes and other pesky critters or to hunt deers. I pray to my Lord I would never be in a position where the live of my wife and daughter will require the use of any of these guns on somebody. My Lord Jesus died too for the intruder that is threatening our lives, if I kill him in that moment he will be sealed for eternal death, I will be shutting his opportunity for grace at that moment the bullet from my gun is ripping his chest.
What I encourage people to do is not to spend money in guns and ammo, is to pray and think what is really important and wise in their lives and set their priorities to manage their resources according to the times we are living. That truck with a 6.9 engine in it is a wise investment in many ways. Is better a truck than a car. Is better IDI than gas, is better simple so you can fix it than depend from a dealer, etc.
I encourage people to be responsible. To care for their families, not only this week but to think ahead. To save, to work hard now while we are still strong and have the opportunity.
There are many subject lines that are showing a trend toward trouble in the near future, social, political, economic, financial and biblical, but that is not the topic here. I will share via PM with any body that is interested what I found after many years studying and observing carefully what's going on.
I was an engineer in the Army, a veteran, had my own business and I'm a farmer now, but the thing I appreciate the most is that I'm a child of God and He gave me an inside look at His Word.
Sorry for the long comment to your picture.
Burt.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Dave,

Thanks,

Burt.

Burt, we see it coming also.. And are doing what we can to prepare for it. Actually I see WWIII beginning with the second American revolution being the trigger event. My hat's off to you for having the foresight & arranging the means to provide for your family. If you haven't already, every chance you get grab a barell and fill it with filtered & thinned WMO. You got solar and wind working yet? You go buddy-;Sweet

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
BioFarmer93,

I appreciate your kind words. Yes, I'm working hard toward the self-sustained goal according to the strength, resources and time that we have. As with everything in life I'm confident the Lord will provide, we just have to do what we can while we can, He will add the rest.

This forum is full with capable and smart people that I know will be crucial to the American people to count with them when the system collapses because I have see that they care for the others. You are one of them, I'm honored to call you my friend, I'll be there for you if you need me when the occasion arrives.

Burt.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
And if I remember correctly, the mans name in the picture is Burt. Am I right.

That's right! I kinda chuckled when I noticed the similar names and sense of preparedness.

Burtcheca, I wasn't necessarily getting at the guns part...but more the "prepared for anything" persona that the character which I pictured is an icon for in the Tremors movies.

Cheers,
Dave

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
Dave,

I haven't seen that movie. We don't have much time for movies these days. One thing I tell you. Fifteen years ago, at a time when I only had a moustache, I looked a lot like that guy. Is it true the name of this character was Burt? Well, I like the part of ready for whatever.

I'm ready for whatever. Not because of my abilities or the things I've done; I'm ready for whatever because my life is hidden in Jesus my Lord and Saviour. I pray yours too.

Here you have some pictures of me these days.

Your friend and brother,

Burt.

Attachments

• 102_0539.jpg
    102_0539.jpg
    1,006.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 102_0319.jpg
    102_0319.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
  • 102_0812.jpg
    102_0812.jpg
    957.6 KB · Views: 17

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Glad you like the picture, Burt. Looks like you indeed stay busy from your pictures.

By the way, nice looking motor you have there. ;Sweet