buy a 6.9 diesel or not?? need to know

1994IDI

Reaction score
You found the right forum, and the right truck. Very few people will speak ill of am IDI. But those who do, it will be the same thing: "not enough power" or "not enough fuel mileage".
Those people are ignorant on IDI's or they want "new age" diesel power. Fact is: you'll never make the kind of power out of an IDI that you can get with a newer diesel, or 2nd gen cummins, but you will only have a fraction of the amount invested. It just depends on whats most important to you.
Also bear in mind that we may not have endless hundreds of horsewpower on the dyno, but with our flat torque curve, there hasn't been anything that I've hooked behind my truck that it won't pull. And for WAAAY under $10,000, you can have a reliable, turbo'd, intercooled diesel that will last 500,00 mi. with the right maintenance.

Just my .02.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the top of this forum and please read the FAQ and take a look at a bunch of the tech articles.

No these engines don't have a good lifespan. That's why your looking at buying a 28 year old truck. LOL

Go find a Toyota of the same age. ;Really That's what everybody considers a good vehicle right? :rolleyes:

Your Ford tech probably wasn't born when these were in showrooms.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That "Tech" has no idea what he is talking about.:rolleyes: My '86 crew cab with the 6.9 has 322,000 miles on it with all the stock internal parts. Excellent compression on all cylinders, stone cold normal used oil analysis. I just put on new headgaskets and added headstuds. The turbo will be on soon. I didn't touch anything else in the motor.:sly Shoot I can still see the factory hone markings in the cylinders bores. Take care of it and it will last for a very long time.

Treat it like dyoung (David) and it will not last a very long time.:D (Sorry David........ I couldn't resist).;Sweet

Heath

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Never gonna bea powerhouse.

Never gonna be the most efficient diesel.

Having said that, I picked an 83 6.9 for my donor, in place of a perfectly healthy 460 because they are a good motor.

Most of us here get mid to upper teens out fo them, and for $1000 if you shop carefully, you can adda turbo and an IC, and have (with some gauges) and have a perfectly good truck, that will haul more, be quicker, and typically get better mpg. that grand basically buys you 80-100 hp. and 150-250 ft lbs of torque, fromt eh #'s I have seen posted.

$10 a pony is a good ratio, and they will run forever, if you treat it right. quality oil, qualty parts, don't overheat it, and keep your egt's down.

I bought a 7.3 with 283k (the 6.9's virtual twin, slighlty larger bore is all) and instantly started hotshotting with it, had my first loads booked before the truck ran, or I had keys. I ran over 20 k on that truck in less than 6 months, and it was amazing.

I'll argue the most efficient part....in the right applications these things will show their effieciency with their fuel economy (night moose).

FordGuy100

Reaction score
You found the right forum, and the right truck. Very few people will speak ill of am IDI. But those who do, it will be the same thing: "not enough power" or "not enough fuel mileage".
Those people are ignorant on IDI's or they want "new age" diesel power. Fact is: you'll never make the kind of power out of an IDI that you can get with a newer diesel, or 2nd gen cummins, but you will only have a fraction of the amount invested. It just depends on whats most important to you.
Also bear in mind that we may not have endless hundreds of horsewpower on the dyno, but with our flat torque curve, there hasn't been anything that I've hooked behind my truck that it won't pull. And for WAAAY under $10,000, you can have a reliable, turbo'd, intercooled diesel that will last 500,00 mi. with the right maintenance.

Just my .02.

I agree ;Sweet

Actually recently their has been the resurgence of the IDI. Its a cheap means of transportation, and it seems everyone has had one in their family at one time, and they loved it. They may not be powerhouses, but ask any former IDI owner, and I garuntee 90% of the time they will talk highly and include phrases like "I wish I never got rid of it," or "I will buy one again soon"

DirtBug66

Reaction score
Check the top of this forum and please read the FAQ and take a look at a bunch of the tech articles.

No these engines don't have a good lifespan. That's why your looking at buying a 28 year old truck. LOL

Go find a Toyota of the same age. ;Really That's what everybody considers a good vehicle right? :rolleyes:

Your Ford tech probably wasn't born when these were in showrooms.

i would never drive a toyota! Born American, Buy American, Drive American

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
i would never drive a toyota! Born American, Buy American, Drive American

Problem with this statement is my 89 F350 was made in Canada but the motor was made here in Indiana... I too try to always buy American made but that almost impossible these days... Lots of import cars are fabricated over there but assembled here so they are truely made in America... Kinda... Used to be mag wheels were cast and machined in overseas places like India or Pakistan but they bolt holes were not drilled yet. So they got to slide in under the tax of being a finished item... Great sneaky way of beating the import tax... Cars are the same thing....

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
If there is any testament to how durable these Ford IDI engines are, this has to be one:

http://www.turtleexpedition.com/vehicles/turtle4.php

That or even the Ford diesel they keep on Davidsfarm:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8rzXNpyurk

As previously stated, these engines are very simple and just need regular maintenance. On that same note though, I can't quite bash the PSD trucks. They are good at what they do with similar maintenance. Although they have a higher repair cost, it can be averted with proper care. (At least with the 7.3L PSD)

One example I can give to vouch for the PSD would be:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrdcKBBVTJM

Just shy of 800,000 miles. Also beaten as a test mule for performance products for a portion of its lifetime.

Personally, I'll never own anything else past the IDI or 7.3L PSD. ;Sweet

Last edited:

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
DirtBug66,

You have read all the experts advice in this forum. Good advice. Now I want to add a couple of things more:
-IDI engines will run with diesel, biodiesel, waste vegetable oil, a mix of other different kinds of waste oil, etc. You cannot try that with the others much less a PSD.
-IDI engines are simple, easy to fix, even for people like me without much mechanic knowledge and tools. IDIs don't have all the electronics, sensors and modules the other have which makes them a nightmare to fix at home and force you to depend from the dealer.

These characteristics make IDI the ideal survival engines. Things are not going to be as they are right now. They'll get worse, much worse real soon. If you buy a vehicle with a decent IDI engine you are investing for that time when we are going to be probably the only ones driving trucks. All others will have their circuits disabled by EMPs, or don't have fuel.

I hope you pay attention to all the good advice you have received here, the forum where people care about each other and their trucks.

Burt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online