busted for stealing waste cooking oil....

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be interested to see what they can actually charge him with: it's over $1000 in fuel if they choose to look at it that way, which would put it into the grand theft category.

Stay tuned I guess

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I wondered when something like this was going to hit because used cooking oil pretty much has to be paid for now days - gone are the days of the shop owner paying to have it hauled off - they are now selling it to the highest bidder... Which makes it very hard to get your hands greasy around these parts.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
I wondered when something like this was going to hit because used cooking oil pretty much has to be paid for now days - gone are the days of the shop owner paying to have it hauled off - they are now selling it to the highest bidder... Which makes it very hard to get your hands greasy around these parts.

yea...it has gone from a "how can I get rid of this crap" to "who is going to pay me the most for it"

In general...it is now a commodity.

Even back in the sticks where I'm at, the local Chinese joint built a 8' wall around theier's with a high end lock and video, with others following suit.

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard awhile back that the state of California passed a bill requiring a $1,000,000 bond for hazardous waste and permits to haul waste vegitable oil. This was pushed through by the rendering companies to stop us little guys from competing with them. Jim

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I have thought about that and also what all I would be getting myself into if I struck a contract per say with a local eatery to pick up their used oil on a weekly basis. Because we ain't getting it for free around these parts anymore...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard awhile back that the state of California passed a bill requiring a $1,000,000 bond for hazardous waste and permits to haul waste vegitable oil. This was pushed through by the rendering companies to stop us little guys from competing with them. Jim
iirc.....
hazmat rules kick in when you transport above 500gal.
personally, I don't think that the regulation is a bad thing. having been stuck enough times for doing accident cleanups for "free", having a bond to attach onto is a good thing for those who are underinsured.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
He was getting for a company not his own personal gain? So how does biodiesel play in to this??
"He certainly had been to other places in the area," said Morgan Hill police Cmdr. David Swing. "Our guess is its a bio-diesel fuel thing. It's like someone stealing copper wire. This might turn into something that starts to occur more frequently."

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
Wow you guys PAY for WVO? I am sitting on a hot comodity then I can get 300 gal or so a week for free and more if I wanted but I only take a 100 or so each week, to process and use.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
oh yeah - here in the midwest they are selling it - heck the local gas station which only consumes a small amount of oil - maybe 6 cubies a week at best is selling theirs for $20 a week...

sassyrel

Reaction score
I have thought about that and also what all I would be getting myself into if I struck a contract per say with a local eatery to pick up their used oil on a weekly basis. Because we ain't getting it for free around these parts anymore...
but even if you pay 20 for 6 cubes--thats 30 galloons---and new is 30 a cube--sooooooo, thats cheap--and out of that 30--you should be able to get at least 25--unless they reallty let their oil go to pot--soooo, thats just over buck a gal----much less than 4.00 a gallon---------------------------

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online