bus idi vs truck idi

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i can get my hands on a good running idi for a really good price

the guy told me its from a small bus. im wondering if the bell housings are the same from my truck to the bus?

thanks

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The light went out in my crystal ball, can't see what your truck is.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
The bus will have the SAE bell, pull the adapter off it and put the adapter from the pickup on.
The exhaust manifold on one side will be different, and the IP should have a 2800 rpm governor.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your dipstick may be in a different location, and you may have a massive 5 grove crank pulley. The fuel filter will be where it is for our Van's and the air filter housing will be huge. Enjoy!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The oil cooler is different, the rear oil filter casting is slanted to the rear.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did they ever use the idi in like the half cab e350 buses?

Yup, hundreds of them. My Nephew is a Diesel mechanic and worked on them everyday for the Detroit bus lines. They still had some up until 2002.

wanabebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason I ask that is, I work on buses for a school district, and we have a couple of the chevys. But what im getting at is he said it came from a small bus. Small bus to me would the 3e350 series buses, they wouldnt haven't a sae bell housing if it was in one of those would it?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason I ask that is, I work on buses for a school district, and we have a couple of the chevys. But what im getting at is he said it came from a small bus. Small bus to me would the 3e350 series buses, they wouldnt haven't a sae bell housing if it was in one of those would it?

I was thinking the same thing. If the"bus" is a E-series chassis, then it will have a Ford adaptor and bellhousing/trans. If it is an IH bus, several things (like the govenor, dipstick, bellhousing.... blah, blah, blah) will be different even from an E-series IDI.

The good news is, any of the truck (F-series) specific parts will bolt right to the IDI from either an E-series or IH bus.

Heath

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so if i buy it i just have to change out a few parts.. thats no prob.. now talking about the bell housing.. its removable from the motor? if its the tranny side and its an auto-manual how would i do that?

i can get my hands on the auto trans and motor but i wanna keep my manual trans..

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
The bell housing is on the (automatic) transmission, not the engine. The engine has a one inch thick adapter on it that can be swapped out with little effort or bother. If you already have an IDI, use your current adapter for the "new" engine and your transmission will bolt right up.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I understand it the idi 6.9 and 7.3 engines have an SAE bell housing bolt pattern on them. Ford added the 1" adapter to adapt them to a more automotive style bell housing. I'm guessing that's why you can redrill a 460 bell housing to fit the diesel engines. We had a 7.3 in an International s1600 Uhaul truck. It was the same basic engine, but some of the bolt on stuff was different. Oil pan was different size and style, pulleys were different, etc. you can interchange the long block for sure though.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey 73idi88350 If you buy that engine I have been looking for the SAE bell adaptor parts for my MH repower project. I would need every thing from the crank to the flex plate if it was set up for a Allison trans. The big problem is shipping it to me in WA might be spendy. I have been trying to get the stuff locally but no luck so far. PM me if you are interested in selling it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online