Buffer Question

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The auto stores and hardware stores only have high RPM buffers. I've been told I want a variable speed orbital buffer, no more than 2000 or so RPM.

My task is to remove old clearcoat to get to clean, smooth, shiny green paint beneath it. I have various grades of cutting compound and an 8" cutting pad (I assume I can get by with a 6" buffer.)

Can anyone recommend a good buffer for this job? Might beat a repaint...

Thank you,

Mike

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got bad news for you. the clearcoat is you color layer defense against the elements. Stripping off the clearcoat only exposes your color layer to the ravages of oxidation sooner, or worse yet, allow moisture to get down through the color layer and primer and start lifting the paint off the metal.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Tow Cat is right ( don't you like the way that sounds?)
The color coat is thin, and not too tough. By the time you get thru the clear, the color will be gone bery quickly.

I think you may be off in your rpm. For buffing CC, I think the recommendations, especially for un amateurs, is to use a buffer at about 200 rpm. It takes a little more time, but you reduce the risk of burn-through.
I have a Harbor Freight variable speed buufer. I use a foam pad and the slowest speed, increasing speed a little as I get the feel of it, and on large, smooth panels, only.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
I'll back up the other two fellas. Once you're through the clearcoat, you're done. Might as well re-paint. Now if you're talking about removing the oxidized layer of clearcoat, that's different. Us amateurs need to take it slow. I think I gave $40 for my buiffer at Sears 6 or 8 years ago. Nuthin fancy, just a regular auto buffer made for waxing. Use fine cut liquid compound until you get the hang of it. Good luck.

Tom

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
If your clear is pealing, like so many Ford hoods did. You might as well sand it off, and have it repainted. You'll never get an acceptable looking finish, otherwise.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ditto everyone else here, you DO NOT want to buff your clear coat off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle