Budget concerns - Upcoming trip

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I have this trip to Vegas planned for June, and I don't do this sort of thing hardly at all, so I really don't want any issues.

That being said, my list of things to do to my truck at 244k miles has become quite expensive. right now I'm looking at;

SW gauges for Oil, Temp, and EGT plus pillar pod @ $380

Rear finned diff cover + Fluid @ $100

Track bar drop bracket @ $100

Alignment and shocks(Gas Magnums) @ $100

And however much deleting/replacing the muffler will cost me.

Without the gauges I can't tell if I have a problem, and I read somewhere that a plugged muffler is a distinct possibility.

My stock temp gauge is reading higher this year than it did last year and it's making me nervous. I wonder if it's a dirty connection or if the sender is just aging and changing the resistance.( I know it's a dummy sender)

Last edited:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
here is how I look at thing.

Do I trust driving the truck for an hour one way locally with zero issues? If yes then plan on fuel expense and enjoy. If not, get it to that point.

the reason my logic works that way is by then everything is up to full operating temp so there should really be very little difference between that all day running.

I just make sure that check fluids when I stop if I got a leaker on my hands.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
To stay on a budget, I would skip the diff cover and just swap out fluids. You could also go and get some cheaper gauges (besides pyro, I wouldnt skimp there), but then you wont have matching gauges.

Reaction score
You could probably skip the oil gauge for now, and maybe go cheap on the gauge pod by mounting them under the dash with a cheap mount for now. Diff cover is nice but not necessary. I'd put shocks and the alignment high on the list if you're going that far and the current ones are shot. Driving with worn out suspension is a nuisance at best.

One you get the temp gauge in and have a good idea what your coolant is doing, you can decide if she's really running hot or not. If she is, maybe start budgeting for a new aluminum radiator. The Champion ones on eBay aren't too bad costwise and work really well.

Mike

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
I am planning on eventually installing the finned diff cover my own self. However, only because I have a habit of overloading and pulling heavy things with my truck.

Unless you're planning on hauling something really heavy on your way here, I feel safe putting off the diff cover for later. Also unless your at, or over, your service interval (or don't know if/when it was last changed) I wouldn't bother with the gear oil either.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that were my list of things to do, I would probably skip all of that if I was going on a long trip soon IMO. Instead, I would look into replacing the thermostat with a motorcraft if not sure what is in your engine, flush coolant and add sca's, check glow plug system, replace fuel/air filter, check your brake system and rear differential fluid, and make sure your return lines aren't leaking. I would also check/change the zf5 oil, motor oil, and slap on a new rad cap if it is looking old. Lastly, I would make sure tires are good to go and tail/headlights are working properly. If all is good, load up the toolbox, fill with fuel and your set ;Sweet. Hope you have a good trip

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Also, throw in some spare fuel filters. Just in case you pick up a bad batch of fuel 50 miles from nowhere.

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with the above. Most of what you list are "want to do" items, and none are "must do items. Just how hot is the engine running? Service the major stuff, air the tires up and fill the tanks.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forget the finned diff cover. Really not much help as far as temps go, makes it look pretty tho.. Change the fluid in the diff's, use only full synthetic, several cans of brake cleaner to flush out all the dirty oil, wipe out as much as possible, jack up one side at a time to drain the axle tubes. Don't need a gasket for the covers, use a thin coat of RTV for the covers.

For guages check AutoZone for the EQUUS brand, there made by Autometer, you can get different face colors, ask to see there catalog, they can have them in a day or two and there half the price. I use them and they are accurate. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...-260f?itemIdentifier=722086&_requestid=145937

Last edited:

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 on the Equus gauges. I've got them for boost, voltage, fuel level, oil pressure, and water temp and they work great

Check out Auber Instruments for a EGT gauge. Less than $100 shipped to your door, and they work awesome, but won't bolt in to the gauge pod you are planning.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great ideas guys. You all know how it is when you start over-thinking something and it snowballs from there. I will relax and get it sorted in the next couple months. I checked the engine temp with my IR reader when the gauge went to the "M" tonight and the damn T-stat housing was barely 140 Degrees! Granted, I only drove it about 4 Miles or so, hot rodding it. Anyways. Appreciated as always.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726