BTS Trans

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well Ijust dropped the Mag Hytec pan to see if I was overfull by 4 inches on the stick. Nope. It was how the stick was touching to fill tube so I bent it and now things look better from under the trans with the pan off. It sure is tuff trying to pour in the extra 2 gallons plus whatever the stock pans hold thru that so tiny trans fill funnel. But its all done and buttoned up. Nothing was found in the pan like clutch material or metal. There was some really fine metal mud on the magnet but that normal. Nothing shiny or broken... I feel a little bit better now. I really wasn't looking forwards to finding "stuff" in the pan... Now why would the trans one day run at 195 degrees when all other time towing the same load it would barely reach 155 to 160 degrees on the freeways....:dunno

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad your trans is fine.

I have the same issues with trans temps. Usually pulling about 7500 lbs my temps are 145-160*. A couple of times however on the same roads same load they have been over 180*. Using an ISSPRO EV temp gauge mounted in the service port on the drivers side of the transmission.

My guess is that perhaps I am just not driving the same and the transmission is holding a higher gear longer or the torque converter is not locking as much and the temps are just higher due to these variables. I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you just thought I'd let you know you're not alone on this issue.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, The day that it was running hotter, were you by any chance driving at a speed in traffic that was closer to shift point where it was hunting for gears more? or were you on one of those infamous stretches of interstate out there where you are climbing for a long time , but it doesn't look like it ? Just looks like flat desert.

Just a thought :dunno

sureshot40sw

Reaction score
IIRC... he was hauling hay in a field... bout 60 square bails... wife wasnt watching the gauge...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nope.. I was not the member towing bales of hay with the wife driving in a field. I was on the interstate doing what I always do. Hauling 2 horses and gear. I thought maybe the sender too but we will see whats happening soon. Just one of those things to watch. The outside air temp that day was around 102 degrees but thats never been a problem before.

sassyrel

Reaction score
partial blockage of one of the cooler lines????? and is flowing enough at one time, and not another?????-----and---the later 4r100 had larger cooler lines--must have figured they needed more oil flow???

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Nope.. I was not the member towing bales of hay with the wife driving in a field. I was on the interstate doing what I always do. Hauling 2 horses and gear. I thought maybe the sender too but we will see whats happening soon. Just one of those things to watch. The outside air temp that day was around 102 degrees but thats never been a problem before.
102... That's just a balmy spring day for around there. Sure as heck shouldn't expect any problems, especially with all that extra fluid.

did you trace the wires to the sender to make sure nothing is contacting anything it shouldn't?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The lines to and from the very large aftermarket cooler are 3/8 braided stainless steel.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC... he was hauling hay in a field... bout 60 square bails... wife wasnt watching the gauge...

That was me. Temp actually reached 250* out there in the hay field. Trans is doing fine fortunately and I have been pulling cars and tractors on my trailer this past week without incident. Temps back to their normal range 145-160* with loaded trailer. No leaks either. Must have gotten lucky.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online