Brown Truck Under the Knife Project - Engine

Hybrid455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Your gonna have to pull the head. Something failed. Need to find out what failed in order to determine who, if anyone, is at fault.

That's right it is probably inevitable if you want it right. But if he's going to park it in the lower 40 for the winter I wouldn't want it sitting out there with the head off. I was trying to think of what least intrusive things could be done to learn more about what occurred. If I was at work I would get the boroscope out and take a peak in there but I doubt that he has access to one of those. Do you???

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get that engine apart. The sooner you get into it, the sooner it'll get back together. IF any blame lies on the machine shop, you'll want your proof sooner than later. Besides, we want pictures of the internals.

Ryan

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I think I'd probably have to pull it to sleep at night. What about just bolting it back on with the old gaskets and such if you can't get it finished, at least you know what it needs.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Lol you guys.
Scott, I guess I never thought about that...
My dad really wants it fixed. I keep telling him to pony up the cash and I'll fix it. lol

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
perhaps its time to pass the plate around to collect contributions for a new gasket set.;Sweet

seriously, the suspense is killing me:eek:

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can get a good discount through Oreillys and would pop in a twenty to get him running. Even without my discount the complete headset without valley gasket is 150. I'll check tomorrow how cheap it gets with my discount.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Ok, I went through all of my gaskets. I have another set of head gaskets, the valve cover gaskets can be reused since they are the rubber ones and haven't had many miles on them yet, the real problem is the valley pan. That thing is like $100 even with my discount at O'Reilly's. So here's the question. Do you guys advise against me reusing it? I put 3 coats of copper coat on it already, I'm worried if I try using it again, copper coat it another 3 times I might screw it up. What do you think? Is this feasible? I had an extra valley pan, I had two sets of head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, exhaust gaskets and valley pans, but at some point my extra valley pan walked off.
Let me know what your thoughts are to help me make my decision.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sean-

I say if it's a $100 valley pan gasket holding you up, tear into it. You'll be able to source one no problem. I *MIGHT* even have one in my cabinet at work- I can check tomorrow for you. If I do, I'll ship it to you.

Ryan

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
if the gasket isnt hurt and as much as you run it there might not be anything wrong with it and if i were in the situation i would probly try to re use it if i couldnt get another gasket any other way

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I reused the one on my 6.9 and never got any leaks but then again it wasn't coppercoated the first time and I did coppercoat it the second time.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yea I think my discount account is actually a screw me account at times. lol
You guys are so awesome!
I'm not exactly sure what happened to my extra one. I think my dad may have snuck off with it. lol