Brown Truck, Compression Test Results

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well guys, it doesn't look good. So no truck for me this year. I just don't have $2000 to put into new pistons, bearings and machine work.
Here's the results just for kicks though.

Cylinder PSI
1. 345
2. 385
3. 300
4. 375
5. 95 :puke:
6. 300
7. 75 :puke:
8. 375

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
cylinder 5 and 7 are next to each other, probly just a head gasket man

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
No signs of any serious head gasket issues (oil or water where it shouldnt be etc). But there are metal on metal sounds and banging and crap going on in there. With my luck I've learned to expect the worst, and that means its definitely holes in pistons.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Okay, maybe Im wrong... 2 gallons low on coolant, oil is good, but it smokes like crazy. So I maybe bent valves and blew a head gasket?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
No. Wasn't gonna tare into it this year unless it was something cheap. If I do tare into it I'll have to put it all on my credit cards. Which I really don't want to do.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
No. Wasn't gonna tare into it this year unless it was something cheap. If I do tare into it I'll have to put it all on my credit cards. Which I really don't want to do.

just cause you find the prolem doesnt mean you have to fix it right away does it?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Turbo pistons are only around $550.00 from Diesel Direct in Florida. Thats the big pin and either normal or low comp type. Sounds to me like a head gasket with some coolant thrown in for giggles...

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fact that two adjacent cylinders are both low, AND low coolant really smells like a blown head gasket. Smoking like crazy is also to be expected because you are running on only 6 cylinders with a mere 75 psi in the other 2. Not nearly enough to burn diesel fuel even when up to temperature.

Some one posted an Ebay link recently for a 6.9 gasket set for less than $100.

Bjober

Reaction score
Low compression causes noise. More fuel enters the combustionchamber before the combustion starts, just like a cold start with alot of noise.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I'd put turbo pistons in it, kinda wanted to. But I don't have any spare turbo rods to go along with them.

sassyrel

Reaction score
me thinks id see if the 6.9 gskt set was still on ebay--then pull just the head on the bad side--put in the new gskt, and call it a day, until you can do what you really want to do to it. wont have much in it that way-----

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
The fact that two adjacent cylinders are both low, AND low coolant really smells like a blown head gasket. Smoking like crazy is also to be expected because you are running on only 6 cylinders with a mere 75 psi in the other 2. Not nearly enough to burn diesel fuel even when up to temperature.

Some one posted an Ebay link recently for a 6.9 gasket set for less than $100.

i posted that it was for a hole head gasket kit

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I have a complete engine rebuild set, gaskets I mean. I just dont have the money to drop into having the heads rebuilt and new valves/pistons were definitely not on the list. I'm still trying to decide what to do. The economy is so hard to read right now. I have the money to spend on it if it takes a turn for the better, but if not I'd really like to have some cash in savings for the winter months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online