Brown Truck, Compression Test Results

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I have a complete engine rebuild set, gaskets I mean. I just dont have the money to drop into having the heads rebuilt and new valves/pistons were definitely not on the list. I'm still trying to decide what to do. The economy is so hard to read right now. I have the money to spend on it if it takes a turn for the better, but if not I'd really like to have some cash in savings for the winter months.

ok your not driving this truck right now are you? you have abother truck to drive right? why not snatch the heads off the thing and find out whats wrong with it it may just be a head gasket which is actually what i think it is. if its something big and you dont have the money to fix it then let the thing set until you do get the money.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have water and coolant in the cylinders then you can cause irrepairable damage to the engine by letting it sit. Pulling the heads off will give you a chance to see if you killed it. On another note you should look for a good core engine. This could give you a useable head, rods, pistons, etc. to get the truck running inexpensively. You would also have a good core block to have checked out and machined at your leisure. Yes the economy sucks but a running truck don't. Check out the towing auctions, craigslist, and the u-pull-it junk yards. If you get a whole junker you could sell off a few parts to offset your expenses. That could be real sweet if you get a decent engine

jeffgordon24

91 f250 kingcab 4*4
Reaction score
arent these motors like fords 1234 cyl on pass side 5678 on drivers side if so the 5 and 7 are not side by side

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
arent these motors like fords 1234 cyl on pass side 5678 on drivers side if so the 5 and 7 are not side by side

Nope, they count 1357 passenger side, 2468 driver's side. Guess its an International Harvester thing. The cylinders are numbered on the aluminum intake manifold.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
If you have water and coolant in the cylinders then you can cause irrepairable damage to the engine by letting it sit. Pulling the heads off will give you a chance to see if you killed it. On another note you should look for a good core engine. This could give you a useable head, rods, pistons, etc. to get the truck running inexpensively. You would also have a good core block to have checked out and machined at your leisure. Yes the economy sucks but a running truck don't. Check out the towing auctions, craigslist, and the u-pull-it junk yards. If you get a whole junker you could sell off a few parts to offset your expenses. That could be real sweet if you get a decent engine

alright you pull the heads off ok water goes in get a bunch of rags or paper towls get all the water out, next thing soak every cylinder with trannie fluid and if your afraid it will rust give her some trannie fluid every so often until you decide to do something with it, but with having 2 cylinders side by side both low compression it sounds like a head gasket

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Ok, I've made my decision.
Im going to atleast pull the passenger head and confirm or refute the idea of it simply being a blown head gasket. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good call. You might be surprised pleasantly. I had bad head gaskets both sides, I still had good compression and no fluid swapping it was fixing to get really bad though right when I pulled them, I was getting blowby in the coolant and I could see where the gasket was blown a couple places right along the fire ring. 2 adjacent cylinders blown usually is the head gasket and it's so common on those early 6.9s to have gasket problems...

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Not to mention this is a low mile untouched motor with the original head gaskets in it.
I just hope it didn't crack a head.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Not to mention this is a low mile untouched motor with the original head gaskets in it.
I just hope it didn't crack a head.

mine only has 99,000 miles on it and its alreadt had both headgasket put into it low miles dont mean nothing and mine has been n/a all its life no turbo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist