BROWN FARM TRUCK BUILD

Ddizzy77

Reaction score
OILBURNERS!

Great site: a thanks is due to all the people who made this place special.

Just wanting to have a post to share the progress made on shining up a 1986 F250 regular cab 6.9 IDI, 4 speed, 4x4.

- Picked up on craigslist outside Seattle

- good shape for its age. 140,000 original miles and hardly any rust at all.

-Came with bed rails, plastic bed liner, tool box and full size lumber rack.

-$3500

I hope this will end up proving to be a great purchase. I need a work truck for around the farms I work. Hauling hay, animals, equipment, firewood…that sort of thing. Like most IDI fans, I appreciate their mechanical nature and am looking for a simple rig that is easy to clean and maintain.

The truck is mostly stock with a few good upgrades by previous owner:

1. manual glow plug button inside the cab

2. bypass factory water separator and install racor 220 with 2 micron (soon going to 10 micron as the factory 6 micron filter is still in use)

3. road draft tube

4. 2 foot LED light bar on front bumper with toggle switch

What I have done so far:

1. New tires

2. Vacuum pump, I have brakes now!

3. Air, fuel, oil filters and oil change

4. Grease u-joints and tie rod ends

5. Temp sensor for dash gauge…its not great but better than nothing

6. Valve cover gaskets

What I plan on doing soon:

1. return line kit

2. fluid changes: coolant, diff

3. e fuel pump

4. headlight relay mod (if not already done)

5. re-seal windshield

6. trailer brake controller

What should happen eventually:

1. manual tank selector

2. solid front axle (locker!)

3. better bumpers with winch

4. rust control

Im a farmer by choice, and do not have a lot of skill or know how when it comes to turning wrenches. I had a great up-bringing, but mechanical abilities are not known to run in my family. On top of that, I recently relocated to the most rural and poor county in Washington State…time to find some friends with tools and a diesel obsession. Thanks for tuning in, FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS. I enjoy reading build threads, and hope this can help someone one day. THANKS OILBURNERS!

PICTURES TO FOLLOW
Where in WA are ya? I'm in the center

tnmike55

Reaction score
I've seen Ford factory skid plates that look like your cross brace picture.

Muleman

Reaction score
Its been a beautiful weekend in central/north Texas!:Thumbs Up i am about in the same situation as you. Picked up a 87 supercab F250 4X4 Lariat. Looks like you have a good start going, Good Luck.

KGIA103

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for a shop in my area that will give me a idea of this is a healthy engine or not before I proceed with other upgrades. I'm inquiring about pressure testing, checking injectors and pump for wear, checking to see if fuel delivery screw has been turned up (and turn it up if not) and check pump timing. I live far from anything and hope I don't have to travel far to find a qualified shop.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for a shop in my area that will give me a idea of this is a healthy engine or not before I proceed with other upgrades. I'm inquiring about pressure testing, checking injectors and pump for wear, checking to see if fuel delivery screw has been turned up (and turn it up if not) and check pump timing. I live far from anything and hope I don't have to travel far to find a qualified shop.
Lol good luck

KGIA103

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Before
The mouse nest I found, among other debris, under the seat.

Mid project

All cleaned out, a few rust holes to cut and patch. I'm considering using a roll on bedliner paint for the floor. I want to use the old rubber floor as a big foot mat. I cut away the perimeter so it would lay down freely without being bolted under the seats or screwed down on the edges. I'm also using a chisel to chip the factory heat shield material off of the floor pan under driver and passenger seat, it was harboring moisture and rust in some cracks that had developed. So I'm thinking to buy some after market heat shield with adhesive backing and apply those too the back of the rubber mat, I even have some holes in the rubber that can be patched over. Two birds stoned at once.
The door panel is off so I could replace the window sweep felt, cleaned out some dirt and oiled up moving parts of the door internal while I was there.
There are a few things I would rather be doing to the truck, but don't have the tools or materials available yet, so staying busy with what I can.

KGIA103

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not much to report, had the windshield replaced [left the chrome trim off] and also had some 3 inch exhaust pipe welded on...no muffler but it certainly sounds better than it did before when the p.o. had cut the muffler out and left the pipe end under the bed.

I have most of the parts needed for a 3g alternator and a duralift e pump.

Picked up this decent camper shell a few months ago. Just about camping season here!

Last loads of hay making their way off the farm this month...