Brother found a truck 94 IDI turbo

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Hey guys, my brother is very serious about this truck but I think the guy wants too much for it for the condition of the body. Its a 94 factory turbo, 5spd 4x4. The rear is not a locker. But the interior is NICE (one crack in the dash). But the body is rusty. Has the passenger fender behind the wheel well almost gone, the rear wheel wells are rusting out, and the spot where the hitch is at is rusting out. Cab corners arent rusted through yet and neither is the floor supposedly, it comes with the panels to fix the wheel wells. The paint is killer nice, but where the holes are its just hole. lol
It has 160,000, the front end was just completely gone through and all tie rods, ball joints, breaks, break lines and bearings were replaced. Along with the rear breaks, and a new gas tank. Tires have 2000 miles on them.
He wants $4500 for it, but I think its worth more like $3500. Or am I just too used to stealing these things?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Sounds high to me.
Just needs new body, is not exactly a selling point :rotflmao

--------Robert

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well if it has as bad of rust as I'm thinking it has after reading your description I would say that the price is way high. Heck $3500 even sounds high for it, though I havent ever seen a factory turbo IDI in that shape for sell on craigslist. I would say $3000, but they are all over the place over here.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear that repairing rust is expensive and not too easy. Maybe time to keep looking or try to talk the guy closer to $3500. With as many as you've bought you're probably more of an expert about what they're worth in your area. In my area, that same truck would go for $5-7000, but it wouldn't have rust since we don't have road salt here. It really depends on the local market.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I hear that repairing rust is expensive and not too easy. Maybe time to keep looking or try to talk the guy closer to $3500. With as many as you've bought you're probably more of an expert about what they're worth in your area. In my area, that same truck would go for $5-7000, but it wouldn't have rust since we don't have road salt here. It really depends on the local market.

That is exactly the same here, you just dont see that kinda rust like you guys have out in the midwest/north.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yea, I hear ya. Body work isnt crap to me though, I enjoy it and dont have a problem fixing it for my bro if he gets it. Its just I dont want him paying way over its value for it.
Comparing to other trucks we've looked at around here, its well worth it. There's a few early 80's 6.9 4x4's that are pretty sorry (more than this one) are automatic, and have over 200,000 for $2500-$2900+
Just the other day he was looking at buying a 92 ext cab 250 with a N/A 7.3, had almost as much rust, auto, 250,000, but had buckets and alcoas, that went for $3250. Another 92 locally that was the same as the last but had even slightly less rust, that went for $6000.
Trucks arent cheap around here guys, none of them.
Heres about how it breaks down any 92-94 F250 $500-$900, IDI diesel +$1000, turbo +$1000-$1500, 4x4 +$1200.
And thats a pretty accurate estimate. Which would put it at $3700 for the biggest POS turbo IDI you could get around here.
Its really not rusted as bad as I know you're thinking. But I want to make darn sure the corners and floors are in good condition before he starts getting too serious about price.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That changes things a bit of you're good at body work and want to do it for him. Since you are an edumacated consumer, you might be able to get him closer to 3500-3700 like you say is more right you think?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yea, thats what Im thinking too. And he REALLY wants a manual, and this is the only one we've found.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a '86 F250 4x4 reg cab with a n/a 6.9 and a t-19 quietly hibernating in Hamilton, TX. It's got a completely rebuilt front end and a rust free kali body and chassis. The truck used to be a friend's shop demo truck for the local vocational college, so it received alot of work just for the student's experience. It drove nicely and problem free twice between kali and TX. I'm at $3k for the truck if you're interested. If not, it can stay in hibernation:D
It's in my pic gallery.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Speaking of 86's, have you started swapping the cummins out of that 86 into Big Ed yet?

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
i paid 3 grand cash for my 89. 2 or 3 dime sized surface rust spots on my doors about midway up. needed brake shoes. the guy i bought it from said he wanted more but no one wanted to buy if for more than 3.