Bronco tank conversion questions..

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok im about ready to do a bronco tank swap in my truck with a all new fuel feed system.. I bought a new tank, and sending unit with pump. All new stuff i bought from a buddy who ended up selling his truck before installing it. Its for a 1989 bronco with a 351w, also scrounged up a bronco skid plate and top straps... My Question is can i use the bronco electric fuel pump and just run a regulater.. The pump is realy smll and probly dont make much pressure, its from an 89 like i siad and 89-back bronco's have two pumps as some of you probly know, a tank pump and a higher pressur frame pump.. Anyone know how much pressure these make and will it hold up pushing diesel fuel... \Thanks

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your best bet is to call an oe supplier to get a straight answer like carter.
also do you have the stock pump or an electric?
your main concern is more pressure than the main pump you have

also if the pump was used with gas me personally i wouldnt use it but i thing the pickup can be swapped or even add some tube to the metal pipe thats on the bronco pickup to extend it down after you remove the b=bronco pump etc

gsxjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
15. To 18 psi I has plenty of the gasser fords that run that setup oother than the thickness of diesel it should ru it but ******* pump in cold weather

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
15. To 18 psi I has plenty of the gasser fords that run that setup oother than the thickness of diesel it should ru it but ******* pump in cold weather

Wow that much pressure, its such a tiny pump i woulda thougth like 8-10 maybe.. Does anyone think ill have pump failure due to the thickness of the diesel over gas.. Also im worried it could destroy the pmp cause its so dirty compared to gas, it mite block it shutt.. Probly worth a shot thou, its a new pump.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just take the pump out and rig a fuel hose in it's place. It's not designed to dead head against anything, so your regulator will need a 3rd line for a return, and that will have to be plumbed in also.

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the in-tank pump on an 89 will push less than 8 PSI, its the low pressure pump, and is only there to act as lift for the high pressure pump along the rails. Aside from that pump most likely NOT being compatable with diesel, i doubt it would come anywhere near the flow you would need to keep the engine running.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
If this is a stock tank, it needs to be painted or coated inside. Galvanized metal reacts with diesel fuel and produces mud that gums up everything. Gasoline does not have that problem, so the zinc stays on the metal, keeping it from rusting.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this is a stock tank, it needs to be painted or coated inside. Galvanized metal reacts with diesel fuel and produces mud that gums up everything. Gasoline does not have that problem, so the zinc stays on the metal, keeping it from rusting.
YA what he said...unless of course your using a PLASTIC tank...rofl

gsxjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on my 88 f150 the in tank was at 16 psi and according to alidata pro its rated at 15 to 18 psi also i plan on doing this swap myself what would you coat the inside of the tank with and how

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damit guys, i ordered a reguater this morning.. An whats this about the galanizing, its a new repop tank but apears galvanized to me, what can i do to fix this problem..

gsxjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am wondering the same thing por15 makes a tank coating but un sure on the application

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pump wont work, tried it, lasted 3 weeks, also the galvanizing thing is not true IMO, I just had my tank out to clean it and it looks like the day I put it in. Diesel is not what it used to be. So I dont think it reacts.
80k miles if that helps.
use the bronco skid plate, put a square tube crossmember in the rear and space it down, I have pics posted on the forum somewhere of this.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd love to see install pics.. Anyway what happened to the pump, just burned up or did it block shutt from dirt.. An were you running it with the factory gas style pre filter in tank.. I realty didn't wanna reuse my carrier pump, it gives me fits constantly.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya now Russ, with way less sulfer perhaps your onto something...and being that many here use WMO/WVO it's quite possible that it won't affect anything actually

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online