Broken Rear U Joint? Coolant leaking?

Preems14

Reaction score
So i was merging onto the highway today doing about 55 km in 3rd gear when i heard an unusally large clanking that wouldnt go away. I pulled over immediately and looked underneath and the drive shaft was resting on the ground. Is the rear U joint easy to fix or should i take it to a mechanic. Also when we got it towed back to the house it leaked coolant everywhere. If anyone is interested in it, its got a brand new starter and 60000 KMs on a reman engine.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
So i was merging onto the highway today doing about 55 km in 3rd gear when i heard an unusally large clanking that wouldnt go away. I pulled over immediately and looked underneath and the drive shaft was resting on the ground. Is the rear U joint easy to fix or should i take it to a mechanic. Also when we got it towed back to the house it leaked coolant everywhere. If anyone is interested in it, its got a brand new starter and 60000 KMs on a reman engine.

When you say interested in it, do you mean as in buying it?!?:dunno If so, how much?

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
The U-joint should be an easy fix. Where is the coolant leaking from? Send me a PM letting me know what you'd like to get for it. I might be able to borrow the money if the price is good and I'd figure out how to get it home if I bought it.

Preems14

Reaction score
Alright well Im gonna check it out tomorow when its light out so i can see where it was leaking from. I think it was just from the overflow tank..... Do you know where i would get a U joint from?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any decent parts store should have them, obviously make sure you get the clamps for them as well if that's what failed on your truck.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I got mine at the ford dealer, the price isn't much higher and You know it is the right size. I bought 3 from napa and they looked the same but they had about 1/16 play after a test run :dunno

7.3IDIDSL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The same thing happened to my truck awhile back. I was taking off from a stop light and just started letting the clutch out when i heard a loud bang followed by some more bangs as the driveshaft bounced off of the ground.

I needed a new rear u joint....a new yoke and new straps. To me it looked like one of the bolts on the straps backed out until the strap was loose enough that the u joint could pop out of the yoke...and when it did this it beat the heck out of the yoke. The funny part is that i just had the driveshaft rebuilt(new u joints, carrier bearing and had it balanced) like 1 week before. I think the guy at the shop didnt torque the bolts holding the straps down properly.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
The same thing happened to my truck awhile back. I was taking off from a stop light and just started letting the clutch out when i heard a loud bang followed by some more bangs as the driveshaft bounced off of the ground.

I needed a new rear u joint....a new yoke and new straps. To me it looked like one of the bolts on the straps backed out until the strap was loose enough that the u joint could pop out of the yoke...and when it did this it beat the heck out of the yoke. The funny part is that i just had the driveshaft rebuilt(new u joints, carrier bearing and had it balanced) like 1 week before. I think the guy at the shop didnt torque the bolts holding the straps down properly.

-cuss id be all over his ass in a hurry

Preems14

Reaction score

What happened to mine was one of the two metal strap type things from the thing that connects to the rear diff broke, the bolt snapped off inside. the u joint looks to be fine it just snapped off on the rear end.

7.3IDIDSL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What happened to mine was one of the two metal strap type things from the thing that connects to the rear diff broke, the bolt snapped off inside. the u joint looks to be fine it just snapped off on the rear end.

So all you need is some new straps and bolts as long as you can get the snapped off bolt out of the yoke. If not you might end up having to replace the yoke.

I had to replace my u joint when my straps came undone because the caps and needle bearings were spread all over the road.

Preems14

Reaction score
Well that sounds like not to hard of a fix now its time to figure out why it leaked coolant. When i opened the radiator cap it was full for a second then it all drained down. Maybe the thermostat was stuck closed and the water pump just kept pumping it into the rad and it drained into the overflow tank. All the coolant looks as if it came out of there, So hopefully i just need a new thermostat

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
Well that sounds like not to hard of a fix now its time to figure out why it leaked coolant. When i opened the radiator cap it was full for a second then it all drained down. Maybe the thermostat was stuck closed and the water pump just kept pumping it into the rad and it drained into the overflow tank. All the coolant looks as if it came out of there, So hopefully i just need a new thermostat

how long have you had the truck? this seems like a problem that wouldnt just happen out of the blue.