broke my E40D, need input

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I screwed up. I was putting in a body lift on and forgot to remove the automatic linkage before doing so.

First thing I noticed was the shifting was off marker by 1 full location(D showing as N, etc). I took it for a drive and D wouldn't get out of first gear. 2nd acts like 2nd. 1st acts like, I think, 2nd.

Any thoughts? Don't know if I bent something, cooked the transmission position switch, etc.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably just the linkage is out of whack because of the difference in body height. It is adjustable. The Shift rod (7340 in the picture) has a long hole that allows changes to be made.

You must be registered for see images attach

Set the park brake, block the wheels and get underneath to the shift rod. Undo the bolt and move the shift lever on the side of the transmission all the way forward. Thats the park position.

Next get back up to the cabin and move the shift lever to the park position.

Then put the bolt back in place if you can. Depending on how much lift you did, it might not reach anymore. If it does, try it out and see how the lever feels in all of the positions.
If if doesn't reach, you will have to have the rod lengthened or replaced with an aftermarket if such a thing exists.

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the diagram. wasn't able to find that in alldata. Unfortunately I THINK I adjusted the shift lever correctly. Seems to cycle through all the gears correctly, R=R, N=N, etc. But after the adjustment, I went for a drive and still experiencing the same problem. I'll let the truck rest overnight and perhaps I'll get lucky in the morning. Or will try adjusting the shift rod again.

It was a 1" body lift btw but the front bolts didn't want to drop(even after removing the so-called clips) so when raising the body, I ended up lifting the side probably ~4" to clear.

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well. went out and drove it around. same problem. I pulled it back in and adjusted the shift linkage as described in alldata. no luck. I'm hoping it's only the manual shift position sensor.

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just cleaned and put dielectric grease on the connectors on both sides of the trans. there was def some junk in there(and AT fluid in the pass side). but still having the same symptoms. do I have to pull my battery connections to restart the trans computer or should it be able to automatically adjust?

I'm heading down this evening to pick up the shift sensor, will put that on tonight if its not too much trouble(hoping it just unbolts and the new one will bolt in. If that doesn't work, I'll check the wires to see if they're getting the right voltage.

the arm that passes through the shift sensor and in to the transmission, if that was forced further in to park, could it have damaged a solenoid internally? I'm not sure exactly what it comes in contact with while rotating.

I also tried moving the shifter around while driving down the road but D would not come out of 1st gear. 2nd is still 2nd, and 1st is still acting like 2nd.

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put a new engine speed sensor on a few months ago. tach is working well. Speedo is working well.

I'll check the fuse, thanks :)

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Recheck the Transmission Range Sensor. With the vehicle in neutral, the marks on the sensor will line up. If they don't. loosen the two bolts. Line up the marks,then tighten them up.

If this out of whack. You will have reverse, neutral, 1st and 2nd.

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recheck the Transmission Range Sensor. With the vehicle in neutral, the marks on the sensor will line up. If they don't. loosen the two bolts. Line up the marks,then tighten them up.

I think I know what you mean regarding the marks on the sensor lining up(I just picked up the newer 95 sensor and it shows the N on the casing). I'll double-check that.

But right now, P=P, R=R, N=N, D=1, 2=2, 1=2.

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score

ding, ding, ding!!! we have a winner. the marks were off by ~1/8". I went out and readjusted the range sensor and D is now acting like D. I haven't had a chance to confirm 2nd/1st yet but it looks promising. I wasn't able to get the marks exactly lined up and my shift points are a little high in D for 1st/2nd but at least I have the full range again. don't know if the alignment is causing higher shifts or if I will need to adjust the FIPL again.

I'll probably swap out the sensor anyway. still worried I may have stripped the key that aligns the sensor to the shift linkage rod.

btw, it's kind of a pita to swap out the range sensor. since they only carry the 95+ range sensors, you have to change out the harness plug as well. I'm expecting I'll have to unhook the harness on both sides and get it to drop out under the rig for accessibility. I'm hopeful the new plug will improve weather defense.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
ding, ding, ding!!! we have a winner. the marks were off by ~1/8". I went out and readjusted the range sensor and D is now acting like D. I haven't had a chance to confirm 2nd/1st yet but it looks promising. I wasn't able to get the marks exactly lined up and my shift points are a little high in D for 1st/2nd but at least I have the full range again. don't know if the alignment is causing higher shifts or if I will need to adjust the FIPL again.

I'll probably swap out the sensor anyway. still worried I may have stripped the key that aligns the sensor to the shift linkage rod.

btw, it's kind of a pita to swap out the range sensor. since they only carry the 95+ range sensors, you have to change out the harness plug as well. I'm expecting I'll have to unhook the harness on both sides and get it to drop out under the rig for accessibility. I'm hopeful the new plug will improve weather defense.

The 95 up one is the improved one. The connector is the improvement. If I recal correctly it is not too hard to chance the connector out
Ken