Broke my add-a-leaf, anyone running airbags up front?

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So today the driver side add-a-leaf I have on the front of my truck broke. So I'm debating ditching the add-a-leafs and maybe just throwing some air bags up front to help out. However I'm gonna call rough country and see if this is something covered under warranty sense these were only installed on Jan 3rd of 2010, I'm guessing it isn't so that's why I'm thinking of throwing some air bags up front. Any body running something like the ride-rite bags up front? If you are how do you like them? I've done a little searching but so far i haven't found anything for up front. Other than stuff for 2wd. Any other thoughts are welcome.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been running ride rites for two years now and have no complaints.

I wasn't able to find a kit for the front that was for a 4x4. Do you know what model number the kit is? Do they do anything for the ride of your truck? Im a little worried about them making the truck bouncy up front.

Saber6

Reaction score
Ill see if I can find the number..As for the ride its not bouncy just a bit stiffer all depending and the pressure you run. I run mine at 80psi in the summer and 95psi in the winter with the plow on.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the kit but not the price :eek: I suppose it is kind of a one time buy deal though. Hmmm maybe I'll search other options.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You can probably rig something up with parts from one of those airride places instead of getting a kit and save a bundle. I couldn't use a kit on the rear of my truck due to the bed I have and had to use componants and it was downright cheap compared to a kit , I got my goodies here except for the onboard compressor setup. Its nice having the freedom to work around whatever you have on the truck. When cash allows, i'm going to add a second pair of bags on the rear and remove the leaf overload altogether . it will really ride sweet with a 4 bag setup on there ;Sweet

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it will really ride sweet with a 4 bag setup on there ;Sweet

Thanks RLDSL, im thinking of just buying parts like you suggest. I like the idea of a little fabrication. With that 4bag setup you'll need to get a KW emblem on your truck. I always liked that 4bag/axle setup they have.;Sweet

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill see if I can find the number..As for the ride its not bouncy just a bit stiffer all depending and the pressure you run. I run mine at 80psi in the summer and 95psi in the winter with the plow on.

sounds like a lot of air pressure.

When I hook the 5er up to my truck, it squats the rear end about 2", and 50 pounds in the air bags brings it right back up to where it was. This is with about 1700 pounds of pin weight.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jon you got a lift kit there just flip the leafs over lol man i thought my 3 was bad and im gonna add 4 but now im thinking air is better

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I've got the "firestone airride" bags in the front and love them!

When I drive unloaded I run 35 psi in there and it really improves the ride quality. Then when I load up I run around 60 psi.

In my opinion it's a great way to beef up the front suspension, without messing with leafs and ubolts and such.

;Sweet

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So quick thought here...What if I were to add the air bags, then just cut off the front section of leaf spring? Essentially make the front end air ride. Or does this have amazing failure written all over it?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online