Brick front clip to OBS front clip conversion/adaptability?

theSHERPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front end on my 1991 F350 is all beat up. Grill broken, hood mangled, both fenders shot, and major dents in the doors. Well beyond salvage. I have read some about bolting on the newer front clip on to the older body style. Does the core support also need changed out? Does it have to be from an OBS diesel? Any tips or tricks to this other than a lot of labor? Thanks for the help--if it is too much of a hassle, I will just replace brick with brick.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"essentially" a bolt-in. you will need the OBS core support though. iirc the windshield cowl needs to be changed out too. if it's a '80-'86 definitely needs to be changed out.

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Its too bad you're in TX, I've got a 98% straight 88 front clip that's complete off my parts truck Id let go for a song.The only booger is on the front of the hood...which may be able to be pulled.
I've thought about doing an OBS swap myself on my 87 CCLB, but I just don't see many clean bricknoses in our area...and there are already tons of OBS CCLB out there. Don't want to be mistaken for just another Powerstroke :)

Kind of fun to be one of the few still rolling the older stuff.
You can usually find good sheet metal on craigslist. Just make sure you get everything...even having all the fasteners is a big +.

887.3DirtyD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything from the cab forward. I swapped a 96 clip onto my old 88, took a weekend. The core support I got was rotted so I just cut out what I needed and used my good one. You will have to possibly do done headlight wiring.