Brand New Used Truck

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I updated this thread but I finally have time now that I have settled back in the swing of classes. Now it is show and tell time.....

I did a little horse trading with a friend and got his truck that was in an accident.
You must be registered for see images attach

Once I got my bed off I noticed the monstrosity of a gooseneck hitch that had a weld bead thrown under it and called good enough. I cut that plate off and threw that on for a scrap pile and am saving that for a rainy day when little bit of thermite will make good use of this plate.

The new cab is starting to make a recovery with some sand blasting. It needs a few patches but is a far cry from what I got.

The bed needed a little bit of patching on the inside where it started to rust through. My dad seam sealed the outside to prevent water and EFFING SALT from seeping through the patch.

Every truck I have owned has had wiring issues-cuss. My wheeler was hacked by the previous owner. My black truck had a small electrical fire that was fixed at the dealer. My dually..... well... it seems that their theory was buy the 30 amp fuses since you get more amperage for your money. I pulled out 11 30amp fuses! The truck's panel only calls for 3!!!!!! I wonder why they had to replace the wires to the rear lights once and the second set started to burn up?:dunno

Like my headlight switch?

Last edited:

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Part 2

Some pictures from around the yard as the work was going on.

I got the better bed on the truck and that is how she will run for a while as the fall will quickly turn to winter. I have to do a lot more work before the truck makes any trips longer than town and around home. 4.10s and a C6 are not the best setup for mileage or speed. I will probably rebuild the ZF over the winter and continue to collect sheet metal for the spring push.

Oh I almost forgot the most helpful person during the project. The stray cat that adopted us four years ago and has been trying to work his way into the garage over the summer as I worked in the driveway. Thankfully the dog hasn't figured out how to crawl under the truck while I am working but the cat will rub on my face if I am not paying attention to him.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Do you have any spare hip lights and pigtails for them? Not to hijack
BTW super cool build and way to make deals to keep a little bit of each truck stay alive

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have some spare light laying around that I won't need, I will have to check when i head back home in the next few weeks. The engine from the wrecked truck is going to live on the PO's 1976 F-600. I too like to see things live on as long as possible and will scavenge anything that I think is useful.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! If you need any parts just pm me. Never know what I have hidden or can find. LOL

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Progress.

I have once again resumed working on my dually.
Off comes the front clip with the intentions of a bare frame for sandblasting.

Front clip removed, it was time to move to the interior and start stripping that down.

A little more sandblasting for the new cab to clean up a few problem areas.

This is the cab that I am removing

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Part 2

Here is the new cab's rust issues

Here is something you guys probably haven't seen being done in some time. A little throw back to the way things used to be when body working was an art form.

A small set of holes under the seal for the back window.

Not sure how this rusted here rather than the usual cab mounts of rocker corner.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Part 3

Easiest engine/trans removal I have ever done.

Well this is all I have to update so far. Hopefully I have some more pictures to add after this weekend.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is something you guys probably haven't seen being done in some time. A little throw back to the way things used to be when body working was an art form.

Ok i give up, what is it? never done body work before.

[/URL]

Well this is all I have to update so far. Hopefully I have some more pictures to add after this weekend.

Look like a couple generations of cut off shirts!!:rotflmao

Thats ok i wear them too.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok i give up, what is it? never done body work before.

Look like a couple generations of cut off shirts!!:rotflmao

Thats ok i wear them too.
That was using lead to fill holes rather than Bondo or other plastic fillers. Lead is better for patching holes/pits in metal. Bondo is not really meant to be used as a high build body filler. I will sand the lead down then skim coat with Bondo to even everything out.

As for the shirts, it is amazing how much heat those pesky sleeves trap, and how much t-shirts cling to your body.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to Freebird01 for the firewall reinforcement plate. While I don't have cracks yet as it is a cab from an auto truck I plan to keep the truck until the end time.

More pictures and updates t come later tonight.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, now the nit-picky things are starting to get addressed. I have a few items I need help with:
1) Does anyone know where I can get the belt lines for the rear doors? Mine are shot and close to scratching the windows.
2) Exhaust needs fabricated. My plan is to have a shop fabricate from the manifolds to the Y-pipe in 2.25 or 2.5 (factory diameter) then use 3" to either a Flowmaster pro series or something similar. I have check MBRP, Diamond Eye, and Walker and they don't seem to offer a straight flow in a 3"/3" combination. I have searched several threads and the general opinion is a straight flow, single in/single out muffler. Has anyone used a Pro series or something close that offers a decent volume/tone? I am not afraid of a glass pack as some from the 2012 rally will remember a little inline six screaming on the dyno with Cherry bombs ending just after the bed. I just don't want this truck to wake the dead when pulling hills loaded down or rattle the windows of the house warming up in the winter. Suggestions or comments?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a take off muffler from an 06 Dmax for 40 bucks. 3.5 in/out. Very quiet. Only time I hear it is doing about 50 mph, it has a nice diesel purr.