Brake problems

Silver91Hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rollback has numerous braking problems and I was wondering if anyone has the same issues and what you did to fix them.

Concern 1. When I bought it I drove if home about 80 miles and I noticed that something in the driveline would "break free". I would drive it and it felt like someone hit me in the rear and after that it drove great, before it felt like it was underpowered or down a cylinder. Well after 2 weeks of driving it on and off I noticed that after I come to a complete stop it does it about 2-3 miles later. Well I think I have it pinned down to the brake pedal its self. When I come to a complete stop it gets pressed down, when I let up it only come up 1/2 way, then slowly creeps up and when it hits fill top, it feels like someone hit me in the rear and the truck takes off. I am going to lube the bushings and see if it helps that concern...

Concern 2. I rotated the tires and noticed that the outside of the rotor on the passenger side is rusty, not just surface rust, I mean pitted, rusted, bad. I am betting on stuck caliper slides on this one, but haven't had time to work on it...

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I would be checking in to the calipers before I did anything else.

Does the wheel pull side to side when the brakes are applied?

Pul the calipers off and check them with a big C clamp...if they drive in hard, it may be time for new calipers.

Check the rubber hoses to the calipers too...if they look bad, chances are they are bad, they can break down inside and the fluid flows freely to the calipers, but can not return to the master cylinder because of the broken down robber inside.

Due to the rusted rotor, I would say check the calipers for movement before I went too far into the pedal situation.

Popeye2347

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2

I would be checking in to the calipers before I did anything else.

Does the wheel pull side to side when the brakes are applied?

Pul the calipers off and check them with a big C clamp...if they drive in hard, it may be time for new calipers.

Check the rubber hoses to the calipers too...if they look bad, chances are they are bad, they can break down inside and the fluid flows freely to the calipers, but can not return to the master cylinder because of the broken down robber inside.

Due to the rusted rotor, I would say check the calipers for movement before I went too far into the pedal situation.

sassyrel

Reaction score
get rebuilt calis,new rubber,take the rotors off,and have the shop just take a "trim" cut--enough to clean the rotors,do both.bleed right,and tell us how it works then--annddddddddd clean the pins and area where the calis slide--i grease mine up with anitsieze,and have never had a problem--

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm on board with everything posted above. Being you have a roll back I bet you have the hydroboost brake booster and not the vacuum brake booster... Thats usually what came on those trucks plus its a 10 lug wheel...

Silver91Hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually its a F-350 Roll-back not an F-Super Duty so its 8 lugs, twin I-beam and vacuum brakes. It does pull, so I am sure it needs brakes, most likely rotors. The one working rotor has heat cracks in it. I work at a Ford dealer and not worried about the parts so much, just wondering about the brake pedal return for the most part. I guess I will lube and retry. BTW if I pull the pedal up it drives fine.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If lubing the brake pivot doesn't help, it might be the booster. I can't see any type of spring that holds the brake pedal up. Also if it was the pivot, and the booster is trying to push the pedal back up, you would think your brake lights would be staying on all the time till you pulled it up with your foot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online