brake pedal sensor busted

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So now my brakes are working somewhat my brake light wont come on until the pedal is pressed about 1/3 of its travel so most of the time while stopping it wont come on, not very good for suburban/ stop and go driving, can the sensor on the pedal wear out/ break? I looked underneith and see two wires but couldn't see much cause its so dark out

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
Yeah they can go bad, maybe the spring is broken, or where it mounts in is fouled up. They aren't that hard to change, if you can get your hands in there along with your head to see what you are doing.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes they can wear out- some are also adjustable so take that into account it could just need adjustment. I just cant remember if yours would be too much other stuff floating around up top cookoo

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
mine is the same way. it takes a little pedal push to get the light switch to go off. I dont want to high jack this thread but what the other vaccum switch thing thats under there for? the hose goes through the firewall and to the coffee can.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
vaccum switch is to dump the vaccum on the cruise control servo in case the electronic switch fails.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
so i got rid of my cruise control can i plug that line off? or better yet get rid of the can?

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for responses guys, I'll try to get under there tomorrow and see how this adjustment spring works otherwise i'll see if advanceautoparts can get me a new one