boiling oil

NoDaK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at what point does oil boil? i ask because i was just standing next to my truck, and i heard what i could best describe as a boiling sizziling sound. its -1 outside and i can feel a fair amount of warmth in my engine compartment, i felt even more heat coming out of the filler neck when i removed the filler cap. i have a pad heater on my oil pan. i assume i need to do a oil/filter change asap. any thoughts?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I think it boils pass 300f not really sure how much but I would search for the source of this 'boiling sound' before any work is done. Btw if not many miles (more than 3k) on the oil I would change it at least once a year. The sound You describe where doe sit come from? it could very well be a coolant hose, or a head gasket (is oil mixing with coolant or coolant mixing with oil?) or it could be a vacuum leak, You need to search for the source of this noise first.

NoDaK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this sound is occurring when the truck has been sitting for several hours with the block heater (factory) and the pad heater plugged in. i know the sound is coming from the pan area.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
The sound is coming from your block heater, the noise it makes is normal, its kind its own way of telling you "hey Im still on and working"

Exekiel69

Reaction score
this sound is occurring when the truck has been sitting for several hours with the block heater (factory) and the pad heater plugged in. i know the sound is coming from the pan area.

if the engine isn't running and the block heater is plugged ON then that is just the block heater doing its job, no worries.

The block heater is a heat element like the ones used in water heaters (not exactly but You get the idea) and all it does is get hot and get the antifreeze in the block nice and warm.

NoDaK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whew... i about **** myself... thought i had been boiling my oil all night while it has been plugged in...