Body bushings?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Anyone got a picture of GOOD body mount bushings? I think I might have found my clunk. I think my cab is hitting the frame. I don't see any rub marks, but I didn't get out my flashlight either. I can't even get my fingers between the cab and frame near the drivers front mount.

You must be registered for see images attach

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's some pictures of mine when I changed them on the crewcab, the back drivers side was sitting on the frame before I started, now it's got a good inch or 2 of space and fixed the body line between the cab and box.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's some pictures of mine when I changed them on the crewcab, the back drivers side was sitting on the frame before I started, now it's got a good inch or 2 of space and fixed the body line between the cab and box.

Hahahahaha wow. I think mine are worse than yours were! I have somewhere around an inch between the cab and frame near the rear.

As HS180 asked, are they the poly ones? Did you have any trouble pulling the mounts apart? I've heard they can be a bear. I am thinking my impact might come in reaaalll handy when I go to change mine.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are Polly bushings and they came apart fairly easy with a short piece of pipe, part of a puller and all thread rod. The bolts come out easy so your impact won't be that handy.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are Polly bushings and they came apart fairly easy with a short piece of pipe, part of a puller and all thread rod. The bolts come out easy so your impact won't be that handy.

I was thinking more of using the impact with the puller.

Any complaints about the Poly bushings? I did them on my Chevy, but that's a half ton and my f350 rides a bit firmer lol

Pork_Chop50

He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Energy Suspension has the poly mounts with hardware now. I haven't swapped mine, that is upcoming possibly this winter. What I can say is I doubt the ride will improve with body mounts. I replaced all my suspension bushings with Energy poly and it did make it handle better, but still rode rough. The best thing I've done to improve ride quality was the RSK with SD springs. Longer leaf and rear shackle have drastically improved the harsh suspension.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Energy Suspension has the poly mounts with hardware now. I haven't swapped mine, that is upcoming possibly this winter. What I can say is I doubt the ride will improve with body mounts. I replaced all my suspension bushings with Energy poly and it did make it handle better, but still rode rough. The best thing I've done to improve ride quality was the RSK with SD springs. Longer leaf and rear shackle have drastically improved the harsh suspension.

Really? Wow, good to know! I will probably still grab the prothane ones though. My hardware should be reusable and I can save $100.

I wasn't expecting it to improve the ride, just some people complain about extra harshness with the poly mounts.

Yeah I'm 2wd so a RSK wouldn't help me lol. I have wondered about using rear SD springs though...

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking more of using the impact with the puller.

Any complaints about the Poly bushings? I did them on my Chevy, but that's a half ton and my f350 rides a bit firmer lol

I haven't driven it yet so I can't answer you on that one. I did put in 2016 superduty leafs in the rear and a 2005 coil sprung axle in the front to help improve the ride quality and turning radius and got bigger brakes out of the deal.

As for using your impact on the puller, make sure you grease the puller really well as impacts like to kill threaded tools.

Pork_Chop50

He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hardware-wise I would encourage you to check your radiator bolts at least. Those usually take a beating from the batteries and typically aren't reusable. Everything I've read, nearly everyone says they get destroyed coming apart. If you're not residing in an area with high levels of NaCl (chemistry) then I would wager body bolts are okay. I live in western Oregon and my radiator bolts are in poor shape, but the body are likely reusable.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hardware-wise I would encourage you to check your radiator bolts at least. Those usually take a beating from the batteries and typically aren't reusable. Everything I've read, nearly everyone says they get destroyed coming apart. If you're not residing in an area with high levels of NaCl (chemistry) then I would wager body bolts are okay. I live in western Oregon and my radiator bolts are in poor shape, but the body are likely reusable.

Well I am living in a VERY highly salted area, but the truck came from Texas last October and wasn't driven last winter so I should be ok there. I've heard that about the radiator support bolts and plan on replacing them with the bushings.

I did put in 2016 superduty leafs in the rear and a 2005 coil sprung axle in the front to help improve the ride quality and turning radius and got bigger brakes out of the deal.

I may end up considering a 4x4 conversion and if I do I'll be looking at this route as well. From what I've read its a relatively simple swap as far as 4x4 conversions go. Someone said the frame contours are very similar where everything bolts up, were they right?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I am living in a VERY highly salted area, but the truck came from Texas last October and wasn't driven last winter so I should be ok there. I've heard that about the radiator support bolts and plan on replacing them with the bushings.

I may end up considering a 4x4 conversion and if I do I'll be looking at this route as well. From what I've read its a relatively simple swap as far as 4x4 conversions go. Someone said the frame contours are very similar where everything bolts up, were they right?

It pretty much bolts in you just have to nock out some beefy rivets and drill into the frame in a few places. There’s a very good write up on this in the tech articles.
I’m going to be putting both axles from a 4wd 03 f250 under a 2wd 90 f250 this winter. It’s a great swap

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
It pretty much bolts in you just have to nock out some beefy rivets and drill into the frame in a few places. There’s a very good write up on this in the tech articles.
I’m going to be putting both axles from a 4wd 03 f250 under a 2wd 90 f250 this winter. It’s a great swap

Are you staying with the front leaf springs on the 03 axle?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok I’m interested to see your solution for the radius arms and spring buckets since you will have a “blank slate” on the 03 leaf spring axle. Better than factory, and exactly what you want.

I have the same axle in my Excursion. I have suggestions on consumables for that axle..... I’m just finishing up the process of completely going through mine......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726