Blue Smoke while accelerating

Austinfee

Reaction score
1990 7.3 Idi turbo

I have a large amount of blue smoke on acceleration and while towing.

I don’t have any way right now to check compression, but the overall performance of the engine has not changed. I checked blow by and it was normal as well.

I have a road draft tube instead of a cdr valve. Do you think I should start by replacing Turbo gaskets?

Austinfee

Reaction score
It does use a bit of oil, but is a leaky engine. Also I do not know how old the injectors or pump is. I have owned the truck for 3 years and have not changed either.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Maybe your pump timing is slow. You could try advancing it a little bit to see what it does.

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the pump is original, it could be wearing down and perhaps causing retarded timing. Don’t advance too much, too much timing will cause rough idling and smoke as well... (white and black) the typical culprit is fuel smoke from timing or injector wear. Be sure it’s burning oil before you go through the trouble of changing the turbo internals.

Austinfee

Reaction score
Update:
I have not had the time to adjust the pump timing yet, but I checked out my exhaust and there is a puddle of oil sitting in my exhaust tip.

I may just rip off the turbo tomorrow and check the exhaust turbine to see if it wet.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update:
I have not had the time to adjust the pump timing yet, but I checked out my exhaust and there is a puddle of oil sitting in my exhaust tip.

I may just rip off the turbo tomorrow and check the exhaust turbine to see if it wet.
If the turbo is blowing oil you can check just by pulling the downpipe off and looking down inside. Bit easier than removing the whole turbo

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:

Is it a puddle of oil, or a puddle of water mixed with soot? It's easy to tell, and makes a big difference.
If oil - turbo is your problem. If soot - ignore it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online