Blue Smoke on Startup

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
OK I know this quesiton has been asked a million times before, but I couldn't find a suitable answer. Here's the problem. I've noticed my truck smokes a bit when I first crank it when it has been sitting for a while and the engine is cold. Air temp doesn't matter, but the cooler it is the bigger the smoke show. Yesterday morning (ok I didn't wake up till noon but still) I cranked up and noticed a decent puff of blue then as I let it idle I noticed the whitish haze coming out the pipe. Normally I wouldn't be concerned, but the temps were in the mid 60s. This morning tems were probably in the mid to upper 50s and there was a larger blue cloud. I'm wondering if maybe some of my glow plugs or their relays have crapped out on me. The truck is an '01 with 70,500 miles on it so I have a few months left on warranty. I need to get it in for the turbo o-rings and some other stuff, so I'm just trying to get ahead of the game. Any thoughts as to the problem? Is a puff of blue normal for a 7.3? If it's not the glow plugs or relays, what else could cause the problem?

TIA

Brian [><]

BJS

Reaction score
Smoke show on startup has a handful of causes, GPs, GPR, Injector o-ring failure.

GPs ohm them to ground resistance should be very low

GPR Check voltage drop when engaged across the two large lugs Voltage drop should be less than 0.2V

Injector o-rings you really shouldn't be having problems with that new of a truck and only 70k but this is quite frequently the culprit for the older trucks.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blue smoke would indicate oil being burned. White smoke on start would be fairly normal until combustion temps elevated just enough to gain complete burn of fuel. Do you have an oil consumption issue going on as well?

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Negative, oil consumption seems to be marginal from what I can tell. I know I am losing a little from the turbo o-rings due to residue on top the motor and the goo running down the side of the engine. When I say smoke on startup, it's not a large amount, but enough to be seen in the mirror. Usually it's a momentary puff then nothing more. I can't confirm this on every start, whether warm or cold but I know for a fact it does it cold. I'll have to check a hot start this evening if possible. And it's worse when air temps are 50 and below.

If it helps, my truck is an early '01 with the 235hp tune (built 11/00). I'm planning on taking it in for the turbo o-rings already, but I'd like to address the blue-smoke issue and cackle as well.

Thanks fellas.

[><]

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A puff of blue on start up is a classic indication of valve guides or seals being worn, allowing oil to seep into combustion chamber after the engine is shut down.