Blown Turbo

Max Power

Reaction score
A friend of mine has an 03 Cummins with 25,000 miles on it. He blew the turbo about 2 months ago and it has been at the shop ever since. They dealer claims he had a chip and that is why the turbo blew. I know for a fact that he did not have a chip.

They also claim that they need to replace the motor because the turbo would have released debris into the motor. They will not go further until he pays $2000 to remove the turbo cookoo (they already removed it) They told him it will likely end up costing him over $15,000 since they will not cover it because they say a turbo will not blow without a chip. :backoff

So now they are going to court over it and he will probably be 6 months or more without his truck. My question is, what are the chances that there is anything wrong with the motor? Will he be able to just change the turbo and carry on? He is still going to go to court over it but he would like his truck back and running the in the mean while. What would a turbo cost?

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
All turbo parts would have to pass through the air to air aftercooler and a grid heater before getting into the engine. I don't quite buy this story....
The dealer is charged with the burden of proof on the chip. If they have no evidence, they have no case and your budy get his truck fixed and reimbused for his lost time and money. Simple as that!
Dealers are really getting silly anymore. Thats why I keep my stock truck away from there.
Ken

Max Power

Reaction score
Thanks, that is what I suspected but wanted to be sure.

Whit

Reaction score
I agree with Ken, I blew the turbo on my 01 since I had the wastegate restrained and all I got was a touch of oil into the intercooler.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I've lunched many turbos on various trucks (Macks, Pete's, etc.. the big dogs ;Sweet ) and I have never had a single piece of one go ino the intake. I have had a few get cought in the aftercooler and one time a piece of compressor wheel go through a pipe. Let us know how it works out Max.
Ken