blown fuse when shifting into 1st

dvanhout

Reaction score
99 psd 2wd bare bones automatic. Any idea why my fuse blows when I shift it into first and how to fix it? I also have a problem with the radio turning itself up at random without turning a knob. Any help would be great and muchly appreciated.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the blown fuse it's either a bare wire or switch shorting out. I'd be more inclined to say a wire that has been rubbing on the linkage and when in first it hits the bare spot just right to pop the fuse. If I had to guess I would say it would be near the steering column at the firewall in the engine compartment or inside it close to the shifter.

The radio problem is unrelated IMHO. I'm not sure about the radios in the '99 models but many OEM radios will automaticly adjust volume higher as speed increases and lower it when you stop. My 2003 F-150 was like this.

There was also a way to adjust it or even turn that feature off but unfortunatly I can't remember how to do that right now.

dvanhout

Reaction score
thanks for the info. I will check it out tonight as soon as this snow quiets down.

I also have a thing where the batteries go dead after about four days of being parked and then I have to hook up the charger to get it going. While it's been recently run, it will start fine and the alternator is showing a good charge.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have a thing where the batteries go dead after about four days of being parked and then I have to hook up the charger to get it going.

You either have a drain somewhere or at least one of your batteries are dying a slow death, not uncommon for them to die when it turns cold out if they are 3 - 5 years old.

Sometimes when the rectifier (I think that's the right part) is starting to go bad in an alternator it can cause the batteries to drain too.

I'd drive to the local parts store and have them check the charging system and batteries for FREE just to eliminate those possibilities and have a little piece of mind before beating my head on a wall trying to chase down a drain that might not exist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle