Block repair... Advice needed...

barr05

Reaction score
I seen the ones that went into the 6.9. it is still running strong. I'll keep an eye out on the web page and Facebook. Thanks for the info..

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have they been bored oversize already? I know this is a controversial subject but if they sonic test okay, going .020" overbore is only about 5% of the original wall thickness. Seems like that is a preferable result over the major surgery of a full re-sleeve. Am I missing something major? There is cost of course, but $ aside is sleeving the best answer?
i've dropped sleeves into these blocks for years. some customers really don't like the idea on gambling on cavitation or the lack of. you should be able to find a old skool machinist in AZ, all the guys who were good have fled over the years no thanks in part to kali epa.

Ford F834

Reaction score
i've dropped sleeves into these blocks for years. some customers really don't like the idea on gambling on cavitation or the lack of. you should be able to find a old skool machinist in AZ, all the guys who were good have fled over the years no thanks in part to kali epa.

By this you mean a rebuild with all 8 cylinders sleeved correct? Once sleeved, can a block be built again in the future? As in old sleeves removed and new sleeves put in? Or is that the final use that you can get out of it?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By this you mean a rebuild with all 8 cylinders sleeved correct? Once sleeved, can a block be built again in the future? As in old sleeves removed and new sleeves put in? Or is that the final use that you can get out of it?
i have two customers approaching 250k on their high buck builds from me. with the oil analysis, I'm predicting 500k before wearout. both of them and I will be dead long before that number is hit. all of us are old, they're much older than I but my health is worse off than theirs. as a result, none of us puts the miles on our trucks like we used to.

Ford F834

Reaction score
I certainly see your point but it still did not answer my question(s). I bought a Jetta TDI two years ago and I've managed to add 90K to the odometer in that time (!) Not that I ever intend to commute in my truck that way, but mileage has a way of sneaking up on you in the wide open west. I'm not a teenager but I'm young enough that I could conceivably wear out this engine and want to rebuild it again... provided enough critical parts are still available to keep it going by that time...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I certainly see your point but it still did not answer my question(s). I bought a Jetta TDI two years ago and I've managed to add 90K to the odometer in that time (!) Not that I ever intend to commute in my truck that way, but mileage has a way of sneaking up on you in the wide open west. I'm not a teenager but I'm young enough that I could conceivably wear out this engine and want to rebuild it again... provided enough critical parts are still available to keep it going by that time...
guess the best way to answer your question is it really depends on the sleeves you intend to put in your motor. if you choose the ones with high nickel content and is able to handle a overbore, then you should get one rebuild out of it. if you do go wild and put in sleeves for a 6.9 into a 7.3 and put in 6.9 pistons, then you should definitely get a couple of overbores out of them. as far as pulling out a out-of-spec dry sleeve and putting a "new" one in, I've never done it and would say "no" in the meantime. bottom line, it really depends on the machine shop and how kick-ass their work is.

Ford F834

Reaction score
Thanks. I was looking at the high performance Melling series before. I might revisit the idea of reducing the bore to 6.9 pistons. First things first though, let's see what I can come up with for a block...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Many sleeves come with an outside diameter.. But you can do most anything to the inside of a sleeve. IF.. And only saying if.. A machine shop has a very good man or woman doing the sleeve removal you can get them out and not harm the block. Then you can install new sleeves and get going down the road.. FINDING a good machine shop with an above machinist is the ruff part. As towcat mentioned.. Many left cali because of the epa rules on what can be used in shops. My last 3 years working was in a huge steam turbine machine shop in orange country cali. We could not use a spray can of aerokroil but we could buy bulk barrels of it and put that in hand pump spray bottles.. I had my own personal air pressurezed container that I would refill and use. It was not looked of as being compliant. If an aerosol can of WD40 was seen on any lathe we got a citation for it. Cali is one broke ass state making revenues anyway they can.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online