Block oil squirters..how they do that??

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it comes to mind a lil something that I wonder about.

Now let me go back to my temder young teenage years first...my 1969 Ford Cortina GT.

I worked in a speed shop and built a wicked engine...this engine had piston jets in the rods...there were small holes in rods a d bearings correspondingly that when the rod passed the oil journal in the crank a spit of oil woukd shoot up in the cylinder....timed by location of oil journal hole in crank.

I dont think it was a constant stream but maybe ....

Now come to our IDI engines with piston cooling oil squirters....how do they function?

2 hypothesis I have...

1 It is a constant flow of oil sprayed up into cylinder and bottom of crown of pistons.....means lots of oil spraying all over in there.

2 Timed spray pattern...how?...well as the engine rotates the valves actuate lifters which have an oil jornal feeding them ..up down they go...cover uncover a port to squirters....but I honestly do not know....

So to all ya older timers with IDI knowledge...which one is it?

I wanna know...and Enquiring minds wanna know eh?

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
79jasper is correct. They spray all the time the engine is running. They are for cooling and a quick shot would not do it.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I only know because I recently looked into it. On another forum a dude tried saying the Jets weren't attached to the block. I guess he was saying they were on the con rod. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
early jets are pressed into the block. later jets are boltes in. 6.9(a) vs 6.9(b)and all 7.3 iirc.
it is a constant spray. that is why oil volume is more critical than pressure in our motors. most gassers use a 1/2" pickup tube. IH run 1" suction pipe.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Al they could not be timed. They are a constant flow of oil. They also are a good reason we can do dry compression tests. With the amount of oil being squirted up under the pistons there is no doubt it sprays down the cylinders too because of the piston and rod action. So no need to feel squirting oil in the cylinders on TOP of the pistons. Actually doing oil on top of a piston becomes fuel and it will detonate just like diesel fuel will. Fast compression creates hot air and oil like fuel will combust under heat and pressure.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Figured it was steady stream ....just did not know for sure.

Like these speakeasy chats sometimes....

Thanks everyone whom confirmed my suspicions.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
When did the 6.9 change from press in to bolt in?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not sure exactly when, but based on this, it was pretty late in the run. For comparison, #173828 is the first block with the improved metal around the block heater hole to prevent cracking, and that was midway through 1985...and, the first 6.9L with the bolt-in nozzles is #237016
You must be registered for see images attach

I was once told that the press-in nozzles were one-time use, but later I heard of people reusing them...but, you have to be extremely careful with them because they are no longer available, and IIRC a special tool is required to press them in. Honestly, I would think long and hard about swapping to a newer block instead of rebuilding a block if I had an early 6.9L with press-in nozzles that needed to be rebuilt (and, I have a very early 6.9l; it's actually an "A" engine {pre-'84 emissions} with different precups and pistons and a 20.5 compression ratio...fortunately, my engine's happy at the moment)

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've posted this quite a few times. Here ya go Al.

The gear oil pump in these engines is a positive displacement and there pretty good size.

Twelve (12) gallons per minute @ 3300 RPM is a lot of oil being pumped.

Attachments

• 7.3 IDI Oil_system.jpg
    7.3 IDI Oil_system.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 80

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score

From my experience and the above chart, it was 1987 that began bolt ins. The block casting had to be modified to accept the bolts. I have a 1985 that has press ins. Avoid if possible, they are tough to reinstall after a bore/hone.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've posted this quite a few times. Here ya go Al.

The gear oil pump in these engines is a positive displacement and there pretty good size.

Twelve (12) gallons per minute @ 3300 RPM is a lot of oil being pumped.

Yes and it says piston cooling jets fed from same galley as valve tappets....hench why I inquired re timed or constant flow...

It isnt specific about flow..

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's constant flow from that oil galley. Tappets have nothing to do with the flow to the Jets.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Sounds like my 86 is most likely press in. Have been debating pulling engine to freshen up and reseal when I swap my ZF5 in and go to a different turbo. May not be worth opening pandora's box if this could end up being a show stopper if damaging oil jets or unable to reinstall. Can the early blocks be drilled and tapped for bolt in or is the casting different? I have a spare set of bolt in oil jets. Failing that I may just swap the trans and turbo and keep my eyes open for a 93-94 turbo block to rebuild and swap in.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of engines (not sure about the IDI) that use piston oil coolers have a valve/spring built into them in which they only open above a certain oil pressure (helping to maintain idle / low rpm oil pressure). Not sure about the IDI as I said which may just use an open nozzle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726