Block oil squirters..how they do that??

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like my 86 is most likely press in. Have been debating pulling engine to freshen up and reseal when I swap my ZF5 in and go to a different turbo. May not be worth opening pandora's box if this could end up being a show stopper if damaging oil jets or unable to reinstall. Can the early blocks be drilled and tapped for bolt in or is the casting different? I have a spare set of bolt in oil jets. Failing that I may just swap the trans and turbo and keep my eyes open for a 93-94 turbo block to rebuild and swap in.
As I understand it, the castings are different enough that it's not practical to drill and tap to convert to a bolt-in. I like the idea of looking for a turbo block; just be prepared to sleeve it to avoid cavitation problems.

A lot of engines (not sure about the IDI) that use piston oil coolers have a valve/spring built into them in which they only open above a certain oil pressure (helping to maintain idle / low rpm oil pressure). Not sure about the IDI as I said which may just use an open nozzle.
I'm pretty sure the IDI's oil cooler squirters are not set up that way...as it was explained to me, the fact that oil is constantly flowing out of the squirters is why oil pressure is so low at idle.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like my 86 is most likely press in. Have been debating pulling engine to freshen up and reseal when I swap my ZF5 in and go to a different turbo. May not be worth opening pandora's box if this could end up being a show stopper if damaging oil jets or unable to reinstall. Can the early blocks be drilled and tapped for bolt in or is the casting different? I have a spare set of bolt in oil jets. Failing that I may just swap the trans and turbo and keep my eyes open for a 93-94 turbo block to rebuild and swap in.
Compare your serial# with the list. Above #237016 will be bolt in. I am running a rebuilt '86 and the oil jets are bolt in.

mackmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 6.9 mfg date on valve cover says it was made Sept of 85 and I have the bolt in type . I would think your 86 would have them .

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Our cooling jets are a straight thru design. Now springs. Just honest oil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online