block heaters and power inverters

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
I was wondering about this cause I dont have access to plug in my truck at work while im gone. How long would 2 batteries last with a block heater plugged into a power inverter in the truck? I dont think mine is a major heater(no typical sizzling) but, based on the average heater. Guess it kinda comes down to amerage/voltage draw? Im no electrician, I dont get along well with electricity! LOL

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Probably not long. My batteries have a 75 minute reserve capacity on them which means that each one by itself can discharge 25 amps for 75 minutes before being dead pretty much. I have two batteries so that's 150 minutes reserve capacity. I dunno what kind of batteries you have but I'd imagine it'd be something similar.

I believe our block heaters are like 1000Watts. I just looked up the amperage on one and it is about 10 amps. So in theory it should run like.. an two or three hours. It'll defintley be a strain on the batteries, but that's your answer.

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
hmmm damn. Thats the answer I was lookin for. Not quite the outcome, but the answer. I'll have to look into those solar powered deals that could keep up with the heater on a timer for day light hours! or maybe just get ALL the GP's workin, n fix my fueling issues n be done with it!!

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
1000W on the AC side translates to 83 amps on the DC side. :eek: You wouldnt want to do it unless the truck was running. cookoo Which defeats the purpose.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You just need all good GPS and no air leaks, correct timing and good fuel, you should be good to go for any normal temp. That having been said, I know it gets a heck of a lot colder in your part of the world than mine. I have easily been able to start my truck all the way down to 22*F without having it plugged in as long as everything is right with it.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
With good plugs, batteries and no,leaks we can start below zero. I've had to at school (work) after sitting all day. BBRRRRRRR!

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you really need a heater, you need to go with one that runs on propane or diesel fuel. They make em for trucks in particularly cold climates.

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
yeah, I looked into those when I was lookin for a Rig. I think ive deffinatly ruled this out as a possible option. Just gunna get my fuel system fixed up, n GP's replaced.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
well, I do believe that the gp's can start it to -20 like it says. I have started mine in the mornign recently at -14, and it fired right up. We got cold weather early this year, and I didn't plug it in.

After that, I haven't plugged it in at all this year. I really don't think you'd have problems at work.

if all else fails, you could time the thing to come on about an hour before you need to start it, and the system you suggested would probably work. I bet you could get an hour our of it, and a voltage drop would not damage that heater at all.

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
I seriously doubt the batteries could keep the block heater going for an hour and still have enough juice to start the truck. 83 amps is one heck of a draw, they will not handle that very long at all. Honda and yamaha both make really nice, small, quite, light weight little gas generators that would run it just fine and be simple to use. You could have in the bed with a cord going to the block heater. Good luck

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not only that, but if you were really going to try something like that, you'd want a 12 volt block heater, and not loose additional power to the conversion. Like a perpetual motion machine, this idea is just as impossible to sustain.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I guess I thought he meant a seperate battery bank with an isolator. I've never seen a 12v block heater. The current would be too high.

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
The current to a 12v block heater would be less than the 12v current going into an inverter to power a 120v block heater of the same wattage (both of which would be way to high to work very well off batteries).

82fordtruck

Reaction score
this is correct, but you can place the invertor right next to the batteries. You only have 12-14 ga wiring to the engine, not 1 or 2 ga. I wonder if you could get a heater for that kind of current to even fit in the hole in the block.

Also, i have seen maintenance sutups that automatically strart the engine every few hours to run it and heat it up. These are usually for generators, but I bet you could figure out something...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent