Block Heater

tjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I have seen in here somewhere you guys talking about the block heaters and that we shouldnt use them well last night it was -2 at my house and was just wondering what everyones thoughts were on using the block heater.:santa:

dieselrunner

Reaction score
I used mine every morning for a season. Hard starts due to bad plugs, just pluged the truck in about two hours before take-off, and It was all good. Things I know about are to not use an extention cord longer then 50' (of one that can handle the Amp draw) but thats about it. Ive read somewhere that some people think the truck has a "memory", and that after using a block heater, it will need one to start, IMO this is false.

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been using mine. its been about 15 degrees in the morning, the truck will start without it just fine but it takes FOREVER to warm up.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always use mine in the dead of winter. Not sure why you wouldn't want to keep the motor as warm as you can. These things hate being cold.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Mine gets plugged in if I plan to start it below 50F. I have been that way with all vehicles gas or diesel!

THad

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yall are lucky that yall dont heve the A 6.9 block. I know some people say tis is the most prone to cracking, but has this actually happened to any of yall?

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey here's an idea for you all to ponder. On our John Deere 4520, it has a coolant heater mounted in the lower radiator hose. With it being in the lower hose, it warms both the coolant in the block, and in the radiator(til the fins dissipate it again). If we leave it plugged in long enough, the 1100 watt heater element will actually open the thermostat! When you go to crank it up, it fires off w/o ether or excessive cranking just like it was 70* out there!

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well now i'm curious too, the PO said the block heater was no good but I plugged it in yesterday night and I could see the electrical pop when I plugged it in (clear plastic plug ends) started it this morning and the high idle wouldn't engage cause it was warm. So , keep her plugged in every night (it's always below freezing now) or not? I too have the 6.9, from 86 though

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Put her on a timer....so it turns on 2 hours before you start her....and shuts off just before you start her in the morning. You can get them pretty cheap and they save you a lot of power in the long run by only heating up when you need it to.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put her on a timer....so it turns on 2 hours before you start her....and shuts off just before you start her in the morning. You can get them pretty cheap and they save you a lot of power in the long run by only heating up when you need it to.

That is a really good idea. CAn't believe I never thought of it. Guess I never really considered how much juice they pull while plugged in.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I have a programmable timer, it comes on about 2hrs before I leave for work.... I haven't used it yet this year....No need to with my 2 brand new CAT batteries...LOL...Still not all that cold yet this winter, hasn't been below -7C yet.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
x2 on the timer. I use for my truck all the time. It gets juice for about two hours before I plan on using it.

Thad

tjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool, thanks for all the input once I get my glowplugs replaced I will start plugging it in. Three of my GPs are stuck, I started another thread about it.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I think what the OP was talking about was the talk of blocks cracking. I've read where the A blocks were used up through 1985, but can't verify it and they were the ones prone to crack when the block heater was used. Since the OP's truck is a 1984, it might be a prudent concern! Mel has stated that if they've been used till now, he doubts they would all of the sudden crack, I have to kind of agree with that, but who knows what the previous owner did or didn't do on a used truck.

The lower radiator hose heater might be the best/safest option for the A block guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online