Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Brass freeze plug with tank heater

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Bill-W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My block heater has developed a leak and is not dripping pretty good :mad:

How do these things come out? From the looks of the replacement ones it seems like it is just a butterfly on the end of a bolt?

Which one is better:

Napa Brand
Or
Kats Brand

Can I just replace it with a plug1 or plug2? I was thinking about using a tank heater like this one instead of the freeze plug style.

Tank Heater

I don't use the heater much as I live in Georgia but I want it to work when I need it as it does get chilly down her every now and then :rotflmao

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

6.9l ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My block heater has developed a leak and is not dripping pretty good :mad:

How do these things come out? From the looks of the replacement ones it seems like it is just a butterfly on the end of a bolt?

Which one is better:

Napa Brand
Or
Kats Brand

Can I just replace it with a plug1 or plug2? I was thinking about using a tank heater like this one instead of the freeze plug style.

Tank Heater

I don't use the heater much as I live in Georgia but I want it to work when I need it as it does get chilly down her every now and then :rotflmao

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

I have a Napa block heater in my 1984 f-250, it's 6yrs old & zero problems.
It has 1000 watts of heat, nice on -20 nights here in northern missouri:D

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do any of you a picture of where the block heater is located? I was looking for a plug the other day (behind the grille) where I thought they were normally located and I did not see anything. Did all IDI's come with block heaters?

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
block heater is on pass side, behind the starterish. lol

i put a rubber plug in mine and will install a heater in the lower hose next time i drain system.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
block heater is on pass side, behind the starterish. lol

i put a rubber plug in mine and will install a heater in the lower hose next time i drain system.

does it have a cord coming away from it or do you just plug an extension cord to it down their?

6.9l ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does it have a cord coming away from it or do you just plug an extension cord to it down their?

It has it's own cord coming from it. If you have the Napa style a new block heater element comes with a new cord. Mine was $35 back 7 years ago. :D

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Tank heaters are picky because they depend on a thermo siphon to function. That is they work on the the fact that hot water rises and cold water falls. So mounting and plumbing is key to get them to work right.

Also going with the highest wattage is not a good idea from what Ive learned. The thermo siphon will not keep up with the higher wattage heating elements so you will be boiling the coolant and the heater will turn on and off frequently.

Being that you dont have to worry about your block cracking I would go with a stock replacement freeze plug heater.

Bill-W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have any pictures of it, I will try and take one in the morning. I replaced mine with the NAPA brand replacement. The only differences was the cord was a strait plug instead of a 90deg plug and a little shorter, I was still able to get it through the grill though. I found it was easier to remove the starter to replace the heater, plus when you pop the old one out it dumps a ton of coolant all over the place, keep your mouth closed and wear goggles! Try pulling the block drains first. When you pull it do the baja ****** upgrade as you have to dump all the coolant anyways and it will make it easier to recover the coolant if you have to dump it again.