Block heater interchange?????

Ramzilla

Reaction score
Hey guys my block heater is bad on the 7.3 idi and the cord was missing in action when I purchased the truck. My question is I have a brand new 6.0L heater and cord assembly that came with another truck I had bought, will the 6.0L heater screw in and work on the idi block? Just trying to use parts I have on hand and don't want to drain the coolant just to try it.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The IDI has no threads, the heater on an IDI goes in a Freeze plug hole, the 6.0 goes in the oil cooler/filter header.
Look above the starter, there it is.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
^ true.
When I was reading this, I was thinking powerstroke.
I think the cord may be the same though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramzilla

Reaction score
The IDI has no threads, the heater on an IDI goes in a Freeze plug hole, the 6.0 goes in the oil cooler/filter header.
Look above the starter, there it is.

Ok gotcha on the IDI heater. I have never had one out and didn't know that. So they are just the freeze plug style like on a 3126 CAT then.

But just for your knowledge I have done a lot of 6.0L work and the heater on them is in the block just about like the IDI it just threads in instead. ;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ebay has the idi block heaters listed for around $35.00. Can't beat that price and it comes with the cord...

Ramzilla

Reaction score
Thanks for the links guys. I'll pick one up. I knew they weren't much I just figured I might could use the parts I had on hand.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for linking the ebay part Bill. Thats the piece I was refering too...:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online