Black Liquid dripping from tailpipe

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
My truck has been sitting for over a month with tranny problems. Couldn't afford to fix it until this week.

When I started it to drive it to the tranny shop I notice a black liquid dripping from tailpipe. I'd never seen that before, and was wondering if it was a major problem or normal for a diesel that's been sitting. I re-read the "cavitation" articles to make sure it wasn't listed as a symptom. I've running DCA's in my coolant anyway (PO didn't though).

Anyway, I'm assuming it has nothing to do with cavitation. Could it be from excessinve blow-by?

Any ideas. Thanks everyone!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could very well be cavitation. Running it to get hot, at least a 20 mile run, then see if it happens again. Could be just condensation from a cold engine washing the carbon out of the exhaust system. Good luck.

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks. I was hoping that it might be condensation. I won't be able to run it till I get it back from the shop next week. If it was condensation I'm assuming I won't see it again after that?

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Could also be water from condensation. One of the by products of combustion is water vapor. This condenses in the cold exhaust pipe and muffler if you let it run only a few minutes. After that everything gets warm and no longer condenses.

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Oilburners is the best. This is my first Diesel, and I know that if I need info I can find it here. No one treats anyone else like an idiot either.;Sweet

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more vote for condensation. Diesel exhaust is actually quite cold untill you start driving it. Under the right conditions you will get a few drops until you drive a few miles. If it was cavitation or a head gasket, you will probably find out in the next few days.

Head gaskets can sometimes leak for weeks before they let go depending on the type of failure and how the truck is driven. Cavitation will get steadily worse, and can sometimes go down over the course of a few days.

In the case of cavitation or a head gasket, you will also have air getting pushed out the coolant recovery tank. Eventually this usually results in overflowing the tank even under light load.

You should see the exhaust from my LPG powered F150. lets just say if you listen carefully, you can actually hear the tailpipe rusting awayLOL.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it thick and oily or very runny and waterry ??

A bad turbo seal will puke oil into the exhaust-pipe.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Oilburners is the best. This is my first Diesel, and I know that if I need info I can find it here. No one treats anyone else like an idiot either.;Sweet

We are an equal opportunity insulter--give us a chance to treat you like an idiot.

Seriously, everyone here was a newbie at some point. None of us were born with the diesel knowledge. Read the answers to your questions. Read, study and learn from the IDI tech articles, and you will soon be an expert.

Welcome to the group.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Here's another thought. While the truck sat was there any rain or water that could have entered the tailpipe? After I wash my truck I get some good splatters on the driveway or on the wall in my garage the next day.;Sweet Water will mix with the soot and make oilburner ink blots!:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin