Black Box

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like the wait to start light is on 10-15 seconds first time, then key on/off/on several times, wait to start light on shorter time, then finally after a 4-5 cycles of same it'll fire. Today, similar program only would not start, 30 degrees overnight. Finally pushed accellerator to floor and release while ignition key on, then cranked and start, rev'd briefly(2-3seconds), then released to low idle 600RPM, never higher. That's why I have the question about the high idle solenoid in relation to the glow plug relay.

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if its 20 deg, or 90 deg outside, I reccomend that you always push the pedal down at least half way to the floor when starting. I disconnected my GP controller (6.9) and wired up a push button. Also I seperately wired a toggle switch to the fast idle solenoid. When I fire up my truck, I flip up the fast idle switch, pedal on the floor and crank it over.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if its 20 deg, or 90 deg outside, I reccomend that you always push the pedal down at least half way to the floor when starting. I disconnected my GP controller (6.9) and wired up a push button. Also I seperately wired a toggle switch to the fast idle solenoid. When I fire up my truck, I flip up the fast idle switch, pedal on the floor and crank it over.

That is almost what it says on the visor? I'd say change the GP's and then look for an air leak in the return lines, or maybe check the timing?

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the kind of advice I need. My wife's leaving for work yesterday, I'm cranking the tail, and she's asking me, "won't it start?" after I'm telling her I got such a great deal on a dually turbo diesel to haul her hay and pull her horse trailer with.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
You say you don't know the history? you might just want to change the fluids and filters, look for leaks or seeps? How do the injectors look? Auto Zone has the ZD9 glow plugs for 2.99 each! It is a turbo?

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
h2odrx, I've replaced the E4OD/converter with Ford Reman(flushed trans cooler and lines), changed the oil and filter, flushed the cooling system and put in CAT long life coolant, differential(Sterling 4.10 open) is full. I have not replaced the fuel filter, and I can see that it is leaking a little and I haven't looked in to the source of the leak. I have not inspected/tested any of the glow plugs or injectors. I've driven the truck about 700 miles after all of that. Engine starts easy when warm, idles great, good power, but won't push past 2300RPM's/70MPH on flat interstate when loaded.

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and I checked my local Auto Zone(400 mile radius) for the 7.3 turbo glow plugs and been told none available.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Test all your glow plugs, it takes 30 minutes tops to check them with an ohm meter, see the following link:

http://intellidog.com/dieselmann/idi.htm

I'll bet you have about 3 that are no good based on poor cold weather starting I've experienced with multiple glow plugs burned out. Also, do a search on the SCAs that you need to add to your coolant to make sure you don't suffer the dreaded block cavitation.

I have 231K on my 93 with the original glow plug controller, and with 8 good glow plugs my truck cold starts easily with no accelerator pedal down into the teens.

Get your truck running right so you can show your wife you bought a solid rig ;Sweet .

Good luck

R. J.

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife took out bambi's mom with the Windstar last night so now she's driving my Expedition and I'm driving the dually to work. I'll work on checking the glow plugs tomorrow. Also, any magic to changing the fuel filter other than warming the engine and priming prior to replacing. I have a feeling my leak is from one of the filter seals. Again, thanks for all the useful info. I'll post some pictures as soon as I can figger out how to shrink my files.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like the wait to start light is on 10-15 seconds first time, then key on/off/on several times, wait to start light on shorter time, then finally after a 4-5 cycles of same it'll fire. Today, similar program only would not start, 30 degrees overnight. Finally pushed accellerator to floor and release while ignition key on, then cranked and start, rev'd briefly(2-3seconds), then released to low idle 600RPM, never higher. That's why I have the question about the high idle solenoid in relation to the glow plug relay.

My bet is your high idle solenoid is not working, and the RPM surge you are getting is from the GP's lighting. Also if you have any air in the fuel system you will get RPM surges.

The high idle is controlled by a temp switch that comes off at 212* F. It has nothing to do with the GP controller besides they get power from the same circuit.

You should not have to light the GP's multiple times, in fact what you are doing is overheating what ones do still work. Eventually the truck will not start at all.

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mr Roboto, is it possible that my filter leak is allowing air to replace the fuel that is bleeding off. It's not a lot, but it's obviously leaking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online