Bilstiens...not liking them.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a thought here, but if you swap back to 2 inch blocks in the rear then your truck will rake backwards with the front higher unless you air up in back. I like the air bags on my rig and they are a must for heavy load stability--I've grossed a little over 12k and truck still handled pretty well--but they make for one bumpy ride if truck is empty and bags are stiff.

Also, I briefly ran my truck with the 2 inch blocks in rear after I swapped springs and D60 up front, and I definitely had to endure a few "creative" comments about my truck's look. Plus there's the occasional local idiot who intentionally lifts the front a lot more than the rear, "Cali lean" I think they call it. Don't do it!!

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See Post #7 for the exact part number I tried. And in all honesty, I can't say the ride is much worse now compared to the twin I-Beams. I'm sure it's worse but I don't cringe anymore when hitting a pothole or bump in the road. Actually, I caught myself aiming for them after putting the motorcraft shocks in. Even charged a few speedbumps just for the fun of it LOL

Those are the yellow Bilsteins which are for stock height trucks. If your truck sits higher that's probably why.
I also find it interesting you didn't like hitting bumps with the Dana 50ttb I love offroading mine and hitting bumps it soaks up the bumps with ease

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought here, but if you swap back to 2 inch blocks in the rear then your truck will rake backwards with the front higher unless you air up in back. I like the air bags on my rig and they are a must for heavy load stability--I've grossed a little over 12k and truck still handled pretty well--but they make for one bumpy ride if truck is empty and bags are stiff.

Also, I briefly ran my truck with the 2 inch blocks in rear after I swapped springs and D60 up front, and I definitely had to endure a few "creative" comments about my truck's look. Plus there's the occasional local idiot who intentionally lifts the front a lot more than the rear, "Cali lean" I think they call it. Don't do it!!

"Bro-Dozer" is another term I heard to describe trucks that drive nose up like that. Definitely not what I'm trying to do.

I swapped all the correct parts in from the F350 platform, so right now the rear is at least 2" higher than the front, since all these trucks are sprung higher on the rear to anticipate load. I also have 3/4" worth of factory spacer plates on the front axle that could be removed if needed. The donor truck was a gasser and only came with 2 springs on the front axle but it seems to work fine.

Those are the yellow Bilsteins which are for stock height trucks. If your truck sits higher that's probably why.
I also find it interesting you didn't like hitting bumps with the Dana 50ttb I love offroading mine and hitting bumps it soaks up the bumps with ease

It's been a while since I ordered them, but I would have looked for F350 4x4 shocks, not F250 4x4. I was aware at the time that the 350 4x4s normally sit higher in this era (4" blocks vs 2"). F350 4x4s from 1985-1997 should come with 4" lift blocks from factory. My 1996 donor truck certainly did.

And to be clear, I never had a Dana50 TTB in this truck, since it was originally 2wd. I considered doing it with a Dana44 TTB to keep my 3.08 gears, but ended up going with monobeam for the sake of simplicity and durability.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Here is a comparison of the front Bilsteins I put on my RV vs the old Monroes.

The stuck compressed one wasn't even connected at the top mount, the nut was gone. Yep, I had no right front shock up until the change, just the coil spring.

Anyway, even the fully extended Monroe is less long.

I'm happy with the Bilsteins but it has extra weight up front due to the RV cabover.

You must be registered for see images attach