Bilstiens...not liking them.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after running them for a few months, I'm thinking of going with something else. Full disclosure for those that don't already know: I did recently go from 2wd twin I-Beam to a Dana60 front end. However, the biggest change I'm noticing is on the rear axle. There are some ruts that I've been driving over for years, and I've never felt the rear axle slam so hard (pretty sure the tire will bounce). Rear springs are the same, except for the 4wd lift blocks, which shouldn't make much difference.

I've also taken the truck off road a bit, and it doesn't seem to help.

Well, with all that said, what are the rest of you running on your rigs? Any ideas?

Here's what I've got right now: Bilstien 24016179

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I put a pair on the rear of a 78 Dodge camper van and they were good. (With front Monroes)

I have a pair on the front of my IDI motorhome and again they are fine. (With rear Monroes)

I can't tell, is your complaint that they are too firm or too soft?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score

Yep, they are some of the firmest. That's why I like them on the RVs I have put them on. If you have them on an empty pickup, I could see why they'd be too firm. Load up the bed and/or tow a heavy trailer and you'll probably like them.

In fact I should probably put them on the rear of my RV to firm it up since the Monroes are probably too soft. They were half the cost when money was really tight and the old ones were the worn out original USA made Motorcraft ones.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's what I've got right now: Bilstien 24016179

Your shocks should be different front and rear, and since you lifted the rear to 4x4 hight those need changed from the 2wd ones. Looking at part numbers Im am seeing that for front and think the rear would be 24016186 in that line. If your shocks are too short the axle will not flex and slam on the ground at bumps.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Agreed... if the stocks are too short now (slamming to their limit on extension) it's not helping ride.

I have bilsteins on the front of my dodge - had hoped to soften up the ride - but I can't tell a difference from the Rancho 5000's they replaced. Monroe magnums on the rear ride decent.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, yes I read that ranchos were rough and avoided them for that reason. I didn't realize they were that close.

I used shocks that were spec'd for a 1996 Ford F350 4wd:

Front: Bilstien 24016179
Rear: Bilstien 24016186

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced the monroes on my truck with monroes. Rides a smidge nicer. Definitely better on highway. Still a truck built in the 80s.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did Bilsteins on my 89 f350 I noticed it seemed better on rough roads. Like rough gravel roads. Rear gets really rough if I'm loaded and on the overloads. I have Energy suspension bushings in all my springs. Factory rear springs. 99-04 superduty springs up front with a reverse shackle.

my 93 F250 regular cab is a rough ride and has old no-name shocks on it. Wondering about bilsteins on it. But don't want to spend the coin right now.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put extensions on the shocks to match the lift. Ride it that way for a while before deciding.

WAID

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got bilsteins on mine and it made a big improvement on the ancient monroes that were on there. I am running almost always with a camper on the back for a load.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck rides ok on the front, with the diesel engine weight. I agree the rear would be better with >1000lbs on it. That doesn't happen very often though. Maybe I'll try monroes on the rear.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I didn't go with Monroes. I went with Motorcraft on all four corners from Rockauto.

I still can't charge over speed bumps quite as easily as with twin I-beams, but I'm very happy with the improvement.

Would I bash Bilstiens after all this? No. A heavier vehicle would probably benefit from the stiffer valving. I hauled a 500lb load recently and that was already enough to tame the back. So a camper, HD steel bed or other moderate weight on the truck would probably be enough to smooth out the ride. Then again, I don't see why the Motorcraft shocks wouldn't work for hauling 2000lbs either.

Can't wait to take it up the mountain again.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Interesting. My '94 F-350 4x4 has Bilsteins installed by the previous owner. I've been impressed with them. It rides and handles quite good.

It is night and day better than the '17 F-350 "FX4" I had on rutted dirt roads. That truck was the worst handling POS I've ever owned.