Bilstein 5100 v 4600

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
Im going to be getting some new Bilstein shocks this month. I have basically narrowed it down to the 5100 shocks, but I am not sure they'll fit. They say they're for 4"-6" lifts and I am somewhere in the 2"-3" range. My lift basically consists of cut and stacked leaf springs (previous owner). Anyway, I can't figure out if they fit. It seems that the alternative for stock height is the Bilstein 4600 series, but again, I don't have a stock ride height.

I tried calling 4Wheel Parts, but when I asked if they would fit, the guy asked me if I'd like to buy them. I said no and asked if they'd fit and again he responded if id like to buy them...so I hung up. The link is here but They all look the same. I thought front and rear would be different...

And again, eshocks.com has a different listing for them with a combo of 2.5" front lift and 1" rear lift. So, I'm not really sure where to proceed here. Could someone give me some direction?

93banksidi

Reaction score
Measure the length at ride height, bump(collapsed) and droop(extended) and order shocks accordingly with a few inches to spare at bump(collapsed). Every lift is different, and the guys at 4WP only know what their computer/books tell them(where our trucks have been long removed). On my 250 with 4inch springs up front & 3inch block(stacked under stock block) I'm running the longest 5100's they make in the rear and pretty long ones in the front. Sorry, I don't have the part numbers on hand.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
Whats the best way to measure bump and droop? could you just do it with a floor jack or do I need to lift it by the frame?

93banksidi

Reaction score
What I've done to measure bump is measure the distance between mounts at ride height, measure distance between axle and bumpstop(don't forget to give some extra length for the rubber stop to compress) then subtract that from ride height. to measure droop, pull the tires, support the frame with jack stands, remove shocks, put a Jack under one side and put pressure until it's about to come off the stand, weigh down the opposite side to max out the spring and measure adding some length as well. I usually order ones 2-2.5" shorter and longer to try and avoid maxing out the shock. Hope this makes sense