Biggest tires '80-'86 F-350 D60?

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
What are the largest tires that will fit on a stock height '86 F-350 4x4 with factory Dana 60? I want to run 35x12.5 and it looks like they'll fit but not sure. I ran 33x12.5 on a stock height '83 F-150, for reference. What is the largest tire you've run without clearance issues on your bullnose stock height with Dana 60?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure on a stock f350, but if you ran 33x12.50x15's on a stock 4x4 f150, then you had rubbing during hard turns into a lane that dipped or rubbing with the bed full of firewood.

That's my definition of "not rubbing". That means NEVER rubbing. I had 31x10.50x15 on a stock 4x4 f150 with the stock rims, and they rubbed the radius arms at full lock up front. That was cured with aftermarkt rims which sat the tire out further, but they still rubbed in the back with a load of wood when I hit a bump in the road.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
They rubbed the radius arms at full lock. Not a big deal, just don't turn full lock as it was only the last bit. Never rubbed in the back either loaded up fairly heavy or flexing off road severely enough that the clutch wouldn't release.

You must be registered for see images attach

On the F-350 I would not be running stock steel wheels. Not sure on the width but I believe they are narrower than recommended by tire manufacturers for 12.5" tires. Anyone know the width of stock steelies? I have a D60 and 4" lift on my F-250 and it clears 35x12.5 with plenty of room, and I've run 38.5x15 without issues. Doubt 35" would have cleared stock height with a D50. Factory D60 trucks are an inch or two higher though so maybe enough.

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the military 36'ers on my stock F350 ('86) w/D60. Forget the width, but wide and had no problems with 'rub'.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
That's reassuring. I think what I need to do is stop being lazy and swap the 35x12.5x17 tires off my other truck onto the diesel truck and be certain they fit and what backspacing works. Worst case I do have a set of approx. 4" lift springs handy so could do a shackle flip in rear along with new shocks and call it a day.

I think I'd like to keep the diesel truck as low as possible and clear 35" tires with no rub though. I'd prefer a shackle reversal up front for about 2.5" lift and add a leaf or springs in rear to level it out. Would like to keep it relatively low and riding nice. Lockers front and rear and it'll do anything I need it to.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 86 F250 with the D50 and even with a load of weight in the back, I've never rubbed with my 33" tires even on uneven terrain. I've been considering the 37" Military tires like I used to have with my old M1009 Blazer and no lift. At least my F250 looks like it will run 35" tires for sure without problems, I don't think the couple extra would be problematic. At least on mine. I don't know why yours wouldn't run with even more room

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
35's will do fine with the body and shouldn't rub as much at full lock with leaf springs. If you don't like what rub that you may get, consider dropping the coin on billet aluminum spacers (not the slip on type), or go 16.5" wheels with recentered H1 wheels. Check trailworthyfab for some good ones.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
35's will do fine with the body and shouldn't rub as much at full lock with leaf springs. If you don't like what rub that you may get, consider dropping the coin on billet aluminum spacers (not the slip on type), or go 16.5" wheels with recentered H1 wheels. Check trailworthyfab for some good ones.

I would never run spacers. I prefer wheels with the correct backspacing. 35x12.5 does not rub on 9" wheels with 4.5" backspacing. There may be a little wiggle room in there but you can't run a 5" or greater backspacing and expect to not rub before full lock with a larger/wider tire.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ZERO RUB

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Truck currently has 265/75R16 which I believe is about as wide as is practical on a stock steel wheel. Can anyone confirm the stock steelies are 7" wide? Trying to determine what wheels I can use. Cost effective 17" that I like and know works (9" wide with 4.5" backspacing) is on backorder. That is Ultra PN 164-7981P. Around $130 each I believe vs 2x-3x that price for wheels at least as wide with 4"-4.5" backspacing of similar style in other brands.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I want to run either a 35x12.5x17 tire or a 315-75R16. Wheel choices are slim at 17"x9" with 4.5" backspacing. If I go 16" I have a lot more wheel selection in 8" wide or 10" wide with 4.25"-4.5" backspacing. I think that may be the route to go. With a recommended wheel width of 8.5" and acceptable range of 8"-11" I'm thinking 10" may be best despite 8" being closer to the recommended 8.5" width?

I don't get why the standard size recommends a 10" width while the metric size, being only very slightly smaller recommends a 8.5" width. What do you guys think? Or am I just over thinking this as I tend to do?For what it's worth I want to run BFG Mall Terrains on this truck. I have had issues with sidewall failures in the past and BFG seems to have tough sidewalls, along with decent traction I am familiar with and a higher load rating than some of the cheaper all terrain or mud tires.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
315-75-16 BFG's on stock rear F350 suspension. Front I added a 2.7" leveling kit originally designed for 99 superduty. Truck sat very level and never rubbed anywhere.It also has 2" spacers on the rear axle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online