Big Time Smoke in Reverse

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my IP rebuilt a couple years ago. Ever since, I've had two issues in Revese only.

First, sometimes the truck will back up fairly quickly. Today, for instance, I was backing up a shallow incline to park and the truck just took off like the idle was high. I was surprised how fast we were backing up. Black smoke like a smokestack out the exhaust, which got the attention of more than one person nearby. Not good in tree hugger California.

Second, I've had trouble with the truck stalling in reverse when backing up trailers. Did it with my big horse trailer. Did it with the car in tow. I'm not sure it is an electrical problem now... thinking it might be IP related.

Why would an IP rebuild cause this behavior?

The second time I backed up the truck, there was no smoke. As a matter of fact, the truck didn't want to back up at all without pressing the go pedal. The first time backing up, she screamed backwards with no pedal. 2-3 mph at idle.

She's going in to Ford tomorrow for complete A/C service, as I don't have the time to do it myself and want Ford's warranty... Perhaps this is FIPL-related and I'll just need an adjustment there? The trans was also replaced with a BTS unit before this behavior started, but certainly Brian's unit isn't at fault. -cuss

Thanks for any ideas,

Mike

aaklingler

Reaction score
My guess is the torque convertor is locking up. Does it make any noises? I'd give BTS a call and see what they say.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can... Why so much smoke if the TC is locking up? I know black smoke means too much fuel, but I'm not making the connection as the why the truck is being overfueled in reverse if the TC is locking up at that time.

Mike

L.Wilkinson

Its an Arktos not a Sub
Reaction score
Mikes91 said:
I can... Why so much smoke if the TC is locking up? I know black smoke means too much fuel, but I'm not making the connection as the why the truck is being overfueled in reverse if the TC is locking up at that time.

Mike

Sounds an awful lot like fuel pump air issues, or the cold start timing solenoid energizing. The cold start solenoid pressurizes the injection housing, changing timing and can provide a bit of a "launch" effect when engaged.
Either one is a long shot for an electrical conection while in reverse?
Anything else done when the pump was out?

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
L.Wilkinson said:
Sounds an awful lot like fuel pump air issues, or the cold start timing solenoid energizing. The cold start solenoid pressurizes the injection housing, changing timing and can provide a bit of a "launch" effect when engaged.
Either one is a long shot for an electrical conection while in reverse?
Anything else done when the pump was out?

Well, had the lift pump serviced, too... (Hmmm....) When the truck stalled in reverse the two times that it's done it (both times I've pushed a trailer in reverse), it was pretty immediate. The truck fired right up with no hesitation when I restarted it. Seems like it'd be awfully derned hard to kill a running diesel under most situations... wasn't like the engine was laboring when it stalled though... more like an immediate removal of fuel. No sputtering or coughing... just running, then nothing.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My money is on the trans being the culprit. I'm in the midst of a C6 rebuild with a Ford factory tech at my side, and he's taught me much about the way the C6 works, and the E40D is very similar. He told me that the presures involved in making a C6 back up, are the highest in the system. Lots of potential failures come at the hands of the reverse drum. While the truck is backing up, the trans is basically trying to explode. Just makes me think of Jim Madden at the rally last July.

aaklingler

Reaction score
The reason for the black smoke is that the the rpms drop and your still dumping in the same amount of fuel. My tc was locking up in reverse but I didn't notice the black smoke, wasn't looking for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online