Bhaf?

DBogo

Reaction score
Are you guys here familiar with the BHAF (Big Honkin Air Filter) i did a search but nothing came up a ton of people on TDR and DTR use the filter

Last edited:

DBogo

Reaction score
i have only heard of it used on the dodges but i just read that its used on the tymar intakes on the pstrokers too on the dodges it attaches to the intake boot and totally replaces the air box

heres a pic on a 1st gen
You must be registered for see images

a 2nd gen

^^^ shown with outerwares prefilter

a 3rd gen

and the part numbers are
WIX # 42790
Donaldson # B105006
Baldwin # PA2820
Hastings # AF1012
DONALDSON # ECB105006
Fleetgaurd # AH19037 (MARINE # AH19004)
NAPA # 2790
Carquest # 87790
John Deere # PMAH19037
Big A # 93790
CATERPILLAR# 3I0005
FLEETRITE # AHR819037
LUBER-FINER# LAF2531
AFE # 20-40044
Fleetrite # AHR819037
Fram # CA6818
UNI # 908
Cummins # AH19037

and some people use an outerwares waterproof prefilter and the part number for that is
# WR3325-105

Last edited:

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do people want a filter that large for extended use... Cause I doubt the engine can flow as much air as that filter can....

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
Must be something like the large donaldson airfilter. But I do know of a ford owner who ran the air intake hose into the cab of his truck and hooked up a semi truck filter. The idea was to keep dust and water out of the intake.

The downside of it was, every time he floored it, his ears would pop.

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The noise of that filter in the cab would be horible.... Just my AFE stage 2 intake has increased the noise outside the cab... the rumble, or low drone of that would drive most people nuts... and most would not drill a 4" hole in thier fire wall...LMAO...

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
I am also using a AFE
I've noticed no difference in noise or anything else. I'm going back to the stock or buying a AIS Severe Duty Filter. I noticed that one of our sponsors has them at a pretty good price. Just not sure yet. I"m sure as heck gonna grab one of those Cam Positioning Sensors he's got soon as I TELL my wife I want to order one.

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You did not get a low rumble from the filter? There was no missing this... right out the front of the filter....

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
There isn't as much noise as a KN in the stock box nor nearly as much as a Scotty II with the hole drilled. It's about a $50 filter and a one time build of a heat gaurd between the filter and the turbo. Some in the wetter regions are putting a prefilter water resistant sock over it. Very cheap and effective mod plus no mess with cleaning and oiling.

haz-mat19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put the afe progaurd 7 stage 1 on. I lets the turbo spool up faster. It also has a lifetime filter, and it filters more then a k&n does. It seem like maybe alittle more power as well.

Deezle1

Fah-Q Racing
Reaction score
You think that filters bad...oye...u shoulda heard my last rig...a BHAF, no silencer ring, 5 inch stacks, twin turbos....she could make some noise!...then again....:)

Dom

Hohn

Reaction score
ISurvivedNMU said:
Do people want a filter that large for extended use... Cause I doubt the engine can flow as much air as that filter can....

I'd disagree.

The BHAF flows about 350CFM, and the stocker flows about 250 CFM.

A CTD spinning 3200 rpm uses (359*3200/3456)= 332 CFM (assuming 100% VE)

But this is with NO boost! Add 28PSI of boost and the number goes up to:

996 CFM!

Still think you don't need high airflow on the intake??

jlh

2500cummins

Reaction score
Hohn said:
The BHAF flows about 350CFM, and the stocker flows about 250 CFM.

jlh

Justin,
Where did you get the 350cfm for the BHAF? The BHAF has almost three times the surface area as the OEM filter, I have a hard time believing it flows less than 30% more.
These flow #s from a few old TDR threads seem to be fairly common.

the stocker flows between around 350 cfm @ 1.5"h20. compared to the afe mega force 850 cfm, afe progard 7 698 cfm, bhaf around upper 600ish cfm (all at 1.5" h20)

posted by Jetpilot
The info I have on the BHAF (AH19037) shows a flow rating of 687 cfm. But, the AFE Mega-Cannon has a flow rating of 820 cfm.

posted by jim fulmer
Part No. 19037 flows 915 CFM according to fleetguard.
(this may be a 4" h2o #?)

I found this searching for CFM ratings on TDR, I think it is the original BHAF thread.
Big Honkin Air Filter instaled

bigdraft

Strokin..Not ******
Reaction score
Yes....I HAVE a Tymar setup on my truck. All I did was take the stock airbox out. I used the existing intake hose and put a BIG air filter on the end of it. It site perfectly down in the well where the stock air box was. Funny thing, not really any extra noise.....EXCEPT the turbo! When I get on it good, I can REALLY hear the turbo whine. Fine with me!!!!! But, yeah, I do have the big ass air open air filter on my truck.....and I love it!!!!!!

Kevin