Better Air Filter

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its time to replace the stock filter with something better.... i have been reading around... and my choices are K&N, AFE, Amsoil... and ?... I have read a lot of bad about K&N.... But??

Help

BRONCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love K&N on gassers. I have been using K&N on my Bronco for years in the worst conditions imaginable. But on my diesel, not any more. After 14k miles and 2 cleanings I noticed a bunch of dirt on the walls of my intake tube. I pulled the K&N and it was full of holes. I sent the filter to WI for a friend to look at. He said it looked like a hairy screen door.

I personally have never used AFE progaurd 7 however they attmept to correct K&N problems by using 4 layers of gauze progressing from course to fine. Could be worth a try. They offer stock size and the entire tube type.

Untill I find a suitable replacement i am back to ACDELCO paper.

Max Power

Reaction score
I've been running a K&N for about 10 months now. I have only cleaned it once so far. I had a look at it last week because of the concern of dirt getting through. I took a paper towel and I could not find a singles spec of dirt in my intatke tube.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
I always have ran K&N in my gassers and never had any problems. On my 350 it made a noticable improvment in power and a little better fuel milage. I assume that the diesel version is similar in construction to the gas ones, so i'm looking into getting one for my 6.5.
Justin

BRONCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This one time at band camp I stuck my filter/ On a serious note this one time I did drive through a major swarm of bugs/moshetoes? They were so thick you could not see out my wind sheild. It made the interior of my truck stink. The next day my K&N was so damn dity! I had to clean it way more then I like to. You are suppose to be gentle when you clean a K&N. It was 3000 miles later I noticed the dirt and holes. I might have caused it myself??

Some people lurking in the shadows state that the intake air velocity of a turbo diesel is so great that only paper will hold up??

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
I have often wondered about the air requirment of a diesel. At 20 some lbs of boost, there is a certain percentage of vaccum on the intake side of the turbo. Does anyone know about what that would be?

Max Power

Reaction score
dieseldummy, the vacuum would be very minimal. Take off your filter minder, stick it in your mouth and suck on it. :D Seriously, you will be amazed at how easy it is to pull it into the red. This tells me that there is very little vacuum. I think the intake and filter are big enough to handle the demand with ease. On the other hand, it would be pretty east to put a vacuum guage in place of teh filter minder to see just how much vacumm/restriction there is under WOT. HMM, I might just have to try it for interest sake.

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thnks guys, Im going to call around about the AFE and see what i can come up with.....

Geno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LiL Hoot
I put a UNI cone type on the end of my K&N with the pre cleaner and so far no dirt. After cleaning my K&N I could see day light and it bothered me. After I put the UNI on and was hanging in my shop tipping a few I decided to oil the K&N and after oil got saturated good it went away (lite). I'm confused know, it was doing the job just the light bothered me.
Geno

Last edited:

BRONCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geno you were always confused. You are just starting to get unconfused. LOL

Geno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recon Its cause I spend to much time starring at this damm thing.
Geno

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LiL Hoot?

Come on Geno, i expected better from you.... Oh well.... Guess without nut here your just....... Geno....

IDidn'tSurviveTheDieselPlace

Attachments

• austin.jpg
    austin.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 123

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online