Betsy the Worktruck

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well couldn't get the old sending unit loose on a few attempts. It is tucked back there pretty good and only has a 1/4" of clearance from the intake manifold. Tough to get a wrench around. I tightened everything best I could and will find an adapter and make it work. I will add that to the list of things to fix if I have to pull the engine.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got to the laptop to update my progress. I installed the glovebox and radio portions of the dash yesterday. Waiting for some wiring stuff and fittings to arrive tomorrow to start routing everything for the gauges. I did drill a hole in the dash for the oil pressure gauge and chopped one off the pod. I have all the old interior along with some other junk to run to the dump so first trip will be up a nice long grade, probably this weekend.

You must be registered for see images attach

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great read so far best of luck with all the rest if the wife is happy that helps with long trips beautiful truck so far

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great read so far best of luck with all the rest if the wife is happy that helps with long trips beautiful truck so far
Thanks! Happy wife is key. It looks like someone blew up a white paint can on the passenger side which is on the dash, glovebox door, sun visor, and door sill. Aside from that the interior is coming together well.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the wiring and lines pulled for the gauge pod and pod installed. Love the look. Tossed the dash back in too. Just have to land everything and then run the oil pressure gauge and everything in the cab is done. Waiting for a tap to arrive for the egt. You guys drill and tap em hot?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Wes has started to install a weld in bung right below the joint where the crossover pipe and the manifold hook up on the driver's side. I sent my crossover pipes to him to have them Ceracoated and had him weld a bung in there for me.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out with the old in with the new. Thanks for the valve @Thewespaul and for the heads up @chillman88

Hardly any fuel in the line when I pulled it so it is a good thing I put this in.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Need help. Replaced the fusible link and the dome light is still dim. Could there be a ground issue? I soldered the gauge light wires to the blue/red wire. Is there a chance the headlight switch is messed up now? Need some help troubleshooting here

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the dash lights work as they should?

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the dash lights work as they should?
No. Things I touched while everything was out:

Dome light removed and reinstalled.

Clipped seat belt wire all the way back to the connector.

Installed gauges by connecting 3 incandescent bulbs together and putting hot to brown wire on headlight switch and ground to engine block.

Power for water temp and egt gauges comes from a 3amp add a fuse to a switch which is currently off.

Removed dangling stereo wires back to unused head unit missing the face plate.

Installed new reverse switch and connector.

Installed headlight relays.

Installed new floor dimmer switch and connector.

I am thinking gauges as I connected the batteries to verify the reverse and headlights work. All was normal. Then I disconnected the batteries again prior to gauge install and now something is amiss. I wouldnt think 4 incandescent lights would blow a fuse though!

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also put the gauges to the blue/red instead of the brown and fixed that wire. So without applying power to the gauges at all, its dim

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just talking myseld thru this. The headlight relays, dome light, and seatbelt sensor all had ground I removed and replaced so I will clean them up and move from there.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes that is the best way to do it. Just 'talk it out', via writing it out where someone else will see it. Even if no one else does see it, you'll help your own self to get it sorted out that way.

Generally you want to work on one circuit or system at a time.

And you don't want to have to troubleshoot after changing several different things.

You changed a bunch of things. Now you are trying to troubleshoot too many things at once.

Sort out each circuit. Follow that complete circuit and make sure the entire circuit is copacetic, then move on to the next circuit.

Don't do something like a bunch of grounds, together, then assume you have sorted the grounds problem. Just do one circuit at a time.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes that is the best way to do it. Just 'talk it out', via writing it out where someone else will see it. Even if no one else does see it, you'll help your own self to get it sorted out that way.

Generally you want to work on one circuit or system at a time.

And you don't want to have to troubleshoot after changing several different things.

You changed a bunch of things. Now you are trying to troubleshoot too many things at once.

Sort out each circuit. Follow that complete circuit and make sure the entire circuit is copacetic, then move on to the next circuit.

Don't do something like a bunch of grounds, together, then assume you have sorted the grounds problem. Just do one circuit at a time.
You sent this in perfect time as I usually throw the kitchen sink at it out of impatience, fix it, then wonder what the issue was for a month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online