I've got my Pre Rally Truck Jitters on

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
So I'm breaking down the Banks box this afternoon to get the turbo pulled to make a run up to Darrins Saturday morning and have Cannon Ball Bob guide me thru a turbo rebuild.
What do I find when I get the air box off?

The cast brace going across the top of the intake had broken in several pieces and was more or less just sitting there. :eek: :puke:

I first began thinking that a piece or two of the casting had dropped down into the engine because Goldie developed a tick/knock, about a week ago, on one of the cylinders but it finally went away earlier today.

Well after a few prayers and a great deal of sweat, I got the intake off and tapped the assembly back into place.

It appears that nothing of any substantial size made it into the motor. WHEW!!!!:hail :hail

So not only now do I have a turbo to rebuild, I now have an intake to replace as well coupled with a leaky IP supply feed line(Thank goodness that was my wetness on both of the heads at the block mating area).

As it would figure, I don't have the correct patch cable to download the pics but will get them up tomorrow for show and tell.

Yes it was I'm sure my fault for overtightening it over time so now that I've got everything off,it's time for Moose Air and a Sidewinder intake hat.;Sweet

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
ouch - you sure sneaked through not having anything slide into the motor and go rearraigning things...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only good can come from this! ;Sweet Better to find it now, than have somebody come up to you at the rally and point out that your broken truck has yet another thing wrong with it! As if I would know anything about that. -cuss

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Only good can come from this! ;Sweet Better to find it now, than have somebody come up to you at the rally and point out that your broken truck has yet another thing wrong with it! As if I would know anything about that. -cuss

Or on the way there and have a piece or two of that let loose and the motor injest it.:eek: I sure hope so cause 3 broke trucks just aint cutting it right now.-cuss

Prolly give about the same response as pulling the pin on a grenade and watching to see the purdy parts fly.

Well here's the pics.
Just waiting now for the intake gasket to get the motor buttoned back up.

THanks to the big storm we had roll thru, I now have firewood cleanup duties to tend to in what looks to be a 90 degree day tomorrow.:puke:

Attachments

• DSC00755.JPG
    DSC00755.JPG
    884.2 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC00756.JPG
    DSC00756.JPG
    814.9 KB · Views: 36

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats wierd. My intake has a screen on it? Where did yours go? Was that something specific to the 6.9L?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Or on the way there and have a piece or two of that let loose and the motor injest it.:eek: I sure hope so cause 3 broke trucks just aint cutting it right now.-cuss

Prolly give about the same response as pulling the pin on a grenade and watching to see the purdy parts fly.

Well here's the pics.
Just waiting now for the intake gasket to get the motor buttoned back up.

THanks to the big storm we had roll thru, I now have firewood cleanup duties to tend to in what looks to be a 90 degree day tomorrow.:puke:

That does suck man, hopefully you will get it fixed and buttoned back up ;Sweet.

90* ;Sweet. Its in the 40*'s and raining right now. The cascades are going to get a couple inches of snow tonight cookoo . Its fricking june, its time for some warm weather LOL

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what can be done to fix that? I think mine might be cracked as well. I was tightening it up one day and it made a crack like I snapped the bolt but I didn't snap the bolt. Never even thought of this until I saw this thread. Guess I will look it over when I get the turbo off.

liddledoggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just found a broken spring hanger. having trouble finding a replacement. did you get the turbo rebilt. joe

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Well yesterday was a success and a failure in both aspects.
I got the turbo rebuilt without much trouble. Just had to improvise to get the bearing retianer snap rings out since I didn't have a set of pliers THAT small.

Overall it went well. Got the turbo cleaned up and found a few large chunks of soot/carbon build up that managed to drop out of the turbo pedestal that were about the size of a marble.:eek:

recharged the turbo with oil and put it aside.

I got the intake gasket set replaced and clearanced the bottom to allow for speedy oil drainback in cold weather. I think with the new gasket sets that there s enough places for the oil to flow that it would work without modification.
But more is better right?;Sweet

While I was at it, I popped the cover plate off the side of the IP and made my fuel saver adjustment.

Sorry Trav, but I bumped it back 2 flats to help with fuel economy cause my last romp with it scored me 11mpg.:eek:

Well started putting everything all back together and heres where the failure came into effect. FULL FORCE!!!!:mad:

Yup, working in a hot tin can and we all know how easy it is to install a Banks turbo by ones self right? 8 hrs later and I'm still not done.

Turbo assembly had to come out a couple of times after getting it bolted to the head to get things realigned, exhaust, oil drainback tube and the compressor housing clocked right, since the Banks box is now a permanent fixture in the shop as a display of what not to do, so I can get the Moose air plumbed.

Anywho, got to the downpipe and for the life of me, I cannot get more than 3 bolts lined up corectly. Not sure what was going on but a 15hr day on the truck was enough to drive me silly so I gave up at midnight and called it a sucessful failure.

Today will be round 2 in the same temps, but higher humidity. Yup ya can't fix stupid!

fx4wannabe said:
So what can be done to fix that? I think mine might be cracked as well. I was tightening it up one day and it made a crack like I snapped the bolt but I didn't snap the bolt. Never even thought of this until I saw this thread. Guess I will look it over when I get the turbo off.

Ya definitly want to check it to be on the safe side.
I'd prolly ended up ingesting a piece or two if I didn't have to rebuild the turbo.
The sad thing is, I never really tightened it down that hard when I had done a boost leak check on it earlier this spring. Must be a stress limit as to how long them things last.

funnyman06 said:
Thats wierd. My intake has a screen on it? Where did yours go? Was that something specific to the 6.9L?

It had one at one point, but that beloved banks box isn't the easiest of things to remove and it usually takes out the screen on the first or second pull with my luck.

Well, I took a few pics yesterday of the carnage and when I get some time I'll post em up.
Looking for a better day today.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
So what do you do to fix that cracked up brace?

I replaced it with another intake I had off a spare motor.

But after this afternoons attempt of 2 1/2 hours, everything was all put back together and my sweet lookin Moose air system installed, I light it off.
I get this wierd growling sound when I run up the rpms. Not sure what it was at the time but after about a 10 minute warmup session and a few more raps on the throttle, I start to notice a high pitched metal on metal sound.

CRAP!!!! That's the compressor wheel making contact with the housing. I quick shut it off and yup it's toast. I phoned up Mel to have him tell me the bad news.:puke:
Bearings sure didn't last long.-cuss

I'f there was a time for a grown man to cry........ That was it. Pretty much sick to my stomach of the whole idea of grenading a cartridge, 100 bucks for a rebuild kit and a wasted weekend.

Sooo back to N/A I go.

Project turbo rebuild............. FAILED!!!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ron's not too happy gang. This brother needs some aid, if anybody is feeling charitable. Wish I had something to offer. -Down

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Well here's what the finished product looked like after the Banks box delete anyway.:dunno

Attachments

• DSC00777.JPG
    DSC00777.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 18

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I replaced it with another intake I had off a spare motor.

But after this afternoons attempt of 2 1/2 hours, everything was all put back together and my sweet lookin Moose air system installed, I light it off.
I get this wierd growling sound when I run up the rpms. Not sure what it was at the time but after about a 10 minute warmup session and a few more raps on the throttle, I start to notice a high pitched metal on metal sound.

CRAP!!!! That's the compressor wheel making contact with the housing. I quick shut it off and yup it's toast. I phoned up Mel to have him tell me the bad news.:puke:
Bearings sure didn't last long.-cuss

I'f there was a time for a grown man to cry........ That was it. Pretty much sick to my stomach of the whole idea of grenading a cartridge, 100 bucks for a rebuild kit and a wasted weekend.

Sooo back to N/A I go.

Project turbo rebuild............. FAILED!!!

Man, that sucks something awful. I truly am sorry that happened to you.

If you need the stock N/A air filter housing, or N/A Y-pipe, give me a pm, I'll ship it to you for no charge. I kinda know what your feeling right now.

And I know that sound of a dying turbo. I heard that metal to metal contact for about 45 minutes as I drove home. By the time I got home, it would make 1.5psi max. My turbo was completly shot, the only things I could save off of it were the housings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance