1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best 7.3 idi build.

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by steve07spirit, Apr 3, 2020.

1. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

That's what I've been thinkng myself, but it's been so long since I've seen a bare Turbo block that I have no idea. I do know that we used the same main bearings in both blocks. if the main bearing webs were thicker in the Turbo blocks, the thrust bearing would not have fit or would have been too loose on the N/A blocks if it had been made for a Turbo block.

2. Randy Bush

Randy Bush Full Access Member

Just going by the information have gotten from a rebuilder source, where they claim the main webs are .100 thicker . Being I have only rebuild what can out of the trucks , I have never put a mic to things like that. IDIBronco the webs could be thicker on a turbo and same bearings fit by where the thrust bearing goes it is milled to fit the same bearing. I have gotten good service out of the ones I have done too.

IDIBRONCO likes this.
  3. typ4

typ4 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Well I have personally measure 10 turbo blocks myself and they were all the same as the na blocks, it is possible that in some super late production run they upgraded the block. I have a U-Haul engine that was built with a brand-new block and it has quarter inch plug in the rear oil galley where the oil sender goes I'm going to tear it down to balance it before I use it so I will measure it at that time.

jwsfarrier likes this.
  4. Enginerd

Enginerd Full Access Member

@steve07spirit PLEASE pm me when you start on your build. I'm right down the road from you in Vilonia. I have 325,000 miles on my 93 na idi so a rebuild could pop up at any time. I would love to see the process and hear from you during your build so I can be ready. Good luck!

5. chillman88

chillman88 Supporting Member Supporting Member

I hope you're not counting on that, my buddy had over 600,000 on his when he finally scrapped the truck because the body rotted off LOL

saburai, homelessduck and Enginerd like this.
  6. Enginerd

Enginerd Full Access Member

Well yes and no. I have only owned it the last 7,000 of those miles haha - NO telling what this rascal has been through. Hardly any blowby though which is promising!

IDIBRONCO and chillman88 like this.
  7. Duke57

Duke57 Full Access Member

In my 92 350 cab and chassi there is hardly any blowby either which is comforting but a while back the engine started to knock hard when first accelerating. I let off of the pedal and step on it again and it goes away. Quiet at full speed. Maybe a sticking valve I don't know. Great oil pressure, 55lbs at start up and when warm stays at 40lbs.
    There is a high pitched squeal when I take off the oil filler cap with engine running, was checking for blowby the other day and can hear it. Been that way pert near 3 years now. Truck starts immediately every time though, within 1/2 second (as long as glow plugs are hot or engine is real warm).

8. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

I can't be sure, but that's probably just the gear to gear noise that you're hearing. It does sound strange when you first hear it.

Macrobb and Dane Rickford like this.