Beru GPs always come out in 1 piece

jim x 3

1988 F-350 DRW
Reaction score
NOT!

These 2 pieces came out first, leaving the inner electrode in the head. Yes, its a BERU. Crank rotated to 7 o'clock - TDC for cylinder 3. Long nose vicegrips wouldn't budge it. PB blaster applied, still won't turn, move up or down. Drift and hammer used to gently tap down, electrode came loose after about 5 taps. I still needed to rotate, push and pull for about 10 minutes to get the electrode out of the head. Photo 5 shows the 3 pieces of the GP. Tools used in photo 6. And new GP in place. Whew!

Regards,

Attachments

• 511.jpg
    511.jpg
    553.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 505.jpg
    505.jpg
    789.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 516.jpg
    516.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 520.jpg
    520.jpg
    806.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 522.jpg
    522.jpg
    944.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 523.jpg
    523.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • 524.jpg
    524.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 7

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any glowplug can fail. Many believe highly in the Berus but lately their quality has been questioned by some...

A glowplug is a glowplug, some are better than others. I'm glad for your sake you managed to get it all out - even if it was a PITA. Technically you broke the electrode free though with the twisting/hammering as only the housing itself is really intended for working (but you had few if any alternatives):

I think part of the problem may be that the hole the glow plug tip goes through gets dirty with soot, as can the tip itself just like in the pictures. Thus making it much harder to pull out. Maybe clean the hole out? Thats the only thing that could have grabbed on :dunno.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Mistake number 1, that can of Pblaster, which is good for separating nothing but money from your wallet.
Mistake number2, continuing to try to force the plug when it was giving excess resistance.

Next time get a can of Aero Kroil or Sili Kroil and soak the snot out of it and turn till you feel resistance, then STOP. soak overnight and then turn back and forth a few times and see if it will go further, if not soak some more, then try again next day then turn in and out till it won't go any further then soak again. continue this pattern . if it gets to where you have removed all the threads and it still has a tip that doesn't want to come out, then you need to order a set of these glow plug remover tools that extend the threads basically so your plug will continue to pull straight out and not get cocked sideways and break off.

You got extremely lucky but chances of that happening again are between slim and none

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mistake number 1, that can of Pblaster, which is good for separating nothing but money from your wallet.

The one and only time so far we had done the glow plugs on my truck I never had a problem with PB pulling out 8 champion plugs. It took a good two hours or so to change them all out but the way it was done is the plug was unscrewed a bit using a 1/4" drive ratchet. As soon as the slightest resistance was felt it was sprayed with PB Blaster and screwed back in again and repeated the process until they came out without any resistance.

Black dawg

Reaction score
pb does soften the black stuff, and the hard white stuff from burning wmo.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
uh oh, the Beru only crowd is going to go nuts.....

LOL

anything can fail sometimes it is that amount or likelyhood of failures that drive us to one direction or the other. no manufacturing process is perfect

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The one and only time so far we had done the glow plugs on my truck I never had a problem with PB pulling out 8 champion plugs. It took a good two hours or so to change them all out but the way it was done is the plug was unscrewed a bit using a 1/4" drive ratchet. As soon as the slightest resistance was felt it was sprayed with PB Blaster and screwed back in again and repeated the process until they came out without any resistance.

If pblaster got it out, then it was coming out anyway. It's in the catagory with wd40 etc. For things that are REALLY stuck, you need something industrial grade.. If you think Pblaster fits that bill, then you have never really had to deal with seriously frozen fasteners. Heck, I couldn't even get that garbage to do their little styrofoam dissolving test they like to brag about on the can ( although I have no idea what dissolving styrofoam has to do with dissolving rust, but if it cant even do that....

jim x 3

1988 F-350 DRW
Reaction score
continuing to try to force the plug when it was giving excess resistance.

RL:

This plug broke free and unscrewed like every other GP I've ever removed. No excess resistance. So it was a true surprise to see the view in photo 2. When I've had stuck plugs in the past, they were swelled at the tip, so they would unscrew 'til all threads were exposed, but still wouldn't come out. This GP was different.

Thanks for the good word on Kroil. Send me a can.

Regards,

Black dawg

Reaction score
I agree that pb does not work for "frozen fasteners", for that I use jb80. Where do you find kroil?

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PB blaster other wise known to my boss as "panther ****" LOL. Yea i put that in the same category as wd40. The best stuff ive used and have seen alot of experienced mechanics stand behind it is BG In-Force Penetrating oil.

-Jordan-

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I agree that pb does not work for "frozen fasteners", for that I use jb80. Where do you find kroil?

You can either get it at the company website at www.kanolabs.com or call a professional HVAC supply in the nearest big city and they will usually stock the stuff, as it is the only thing that will get old nasty stuck refrigeration lines apart without surgery

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lawson makes some stuff called open and shut that is almost as good as Kroil. I use it on the turbo teardowns and it works, oh and I get a free one from my Lawson bud now and then.:D

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
always had good luck with 50-50 tranny fluid acetone mix myself. That and its cheap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726