Bell Housing Bolt Size

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have a 86 F-250 4X4 with a 6.9 n/a in front of a zf-5 tranny. While snooping around the bell housing where it bolts up to the engine...I noticed a socket still on one of the top bolts and two of the bolts are actually missing...In addition...the nuts that bolt the tranny to the crossmember are missing...I have been driving this thing, but now I am afraid to untill I can fix this...

Anybody happen to know what the bolt size is for the bell housing? I can figure the crossmember nuts. Or where can I find out in a book or something for the housing...

Thanks

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the socket is a 3/4", then the bolt size is 1/2"-13 thds., you will have to determine what length to use. I think the tranny nuts are 1/2"-13 thds also.

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks alot...that socket is 3/4"...and I was thinking 1/2" but was unsure of threads per inch...I will go buy bolts and try them out. This saves time...since I don't have to pull one to figure it out...

Thanks again

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
They are a 1/2x13 threads. Length is not known by me but... Removing one will tel you the length. Then just put it back in. Welcome to the forum too.

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok Guys...Thanks for all the info...The bolts are exactly what you guys said...The top two are 3/4" x 2' long x 13 tpi...I got those in now...one was missing...

There are two missing on bottom...I don't know the length yet, but they are easy to get to so I will pull one noe that the top is secure...and go get some new ones from Fastenal...

The top bolt I bought is grade 5....Should I have bought grade 8? I will wait for opinions before I go get new ones....If grade 8 I will replace top ones also...

The crossmember nuts were 1/2" x 13tpi just like you guys said...

Thanks again everyone...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Actually any bolt would be better than no bolt in that area. These engines only have 6 bellhousing bolts. Thats a lot of stress placed on the bolts when some are missing. Look at lug nuts of 4.. Loose one and you dropped the holding strenght by 25%.. Thats a scarey thought. I wonder who the person was that worked on the truck and left out so many bolts and left behind a socket still on the bolts.... Maybe a crackhead....:dunnocookoo:angel:

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 what icanfixall said. And I would be afraid to drive it to. I bought a slantnose 4x4 once with a 351M in it and one starter bolt was a pair of long curved jaw vice grips...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online