Bed Should be Done Here Soon

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Put my original bed back on. Decided to throw the tailgate on to make sure everything latches together. I think I am going to live with the tailgate the way it is for the time being.

I have the bed all welded up for the most part, and I am now in the process of beating out the warped'edness that incurred from welding. The worst spot right now would need 1/4" of bondo which is way to thick for my liking.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what were you welding on? i got bored and started to install the rust repair panels on mine but im having no luck with the beer can thin lmc panels.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The other side. Its still rough and I wasn't wanting to take pics LOL.

I had a he'll of a time as well. Even factory sheet metal is so thin that it burns through like a mother.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im really glad im not the only one having problems with it. i also miss cut some spots and had big gaps to fill. :frustrate

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
The other side. Its still rough and I wasn't wanting to take pics LOL.

I had a he'll of a time as well. Even factory sheet metal is so thin that it burns through like a mother.

What are you welding it with?

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bondo is a great product for finish work, but 1/4 seems like the metal needs to be worked more. thats a bit thick.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
what are you guys trying to weld them with?

Personally I would use heliarc, body panels are to thin to reasonably weld with stick (it can be done, but not worth the hassle), and I don't care for wire feed, especially with galvanized body panels.

But I'm still curious as to what Justin is using.

XanRa

Reaction score
Personally I would use heliarc, body panels are to thin to reasonably weld with stick (it can be done, but not worth the hassle), and I don't care for wire feed, especially with galvanized body panels.

But I'm still curious as to what Justin is using.

that was my thinking- never have attempted and never care to try welding anything thinner than .125 with stick

tig sure mig...eh

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Hobart 140 MIG. And yes way to thick on body filler so I will be pounding them out this up coming week. Hopefully I will have everything primered in the next two weeks.